Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike87 Mike87 is offline

Default How to insert notes page every odd page for student manual?

I am using Word2003, drafting up a student manual for a course I am teaching.
I want the students to have a ruled, notes page on the back of each page of
course text, so they can add their own scribbled notes during the lessons.
Since this document gets edited regularly, I dont want to be continually
reformatting the entire document just because I added a single paragraph
somewhere. Due to the nature of the document and the rules I have to work
with, the pages (including the notes pages) need to be sequentially numbered
(page x of y).

So: , At the time of printing, in between each page of text, I want to be
able to add a new page (say every odd page) that consists of the normal
header and footer, but just ruled lines for notetaking in the body text. The
new note pages don't need to be saved, since they wont be part of the base
document anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would create this as a separate (single-page) document and number the
pages in the manual with a calculated field so that it advances by two pages
at a time. Then print one document on the back of the other.

"Mike87" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I overlooked your Page X of Y requirement, but I imagine you can figure out
how to do that as well (the Y will also have to be calculated { = NUMPAGES *
2 }). As for the notes pages, I guess you'd either have to have more than
one, or you'd need to use one of the numbering schemes described in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...piesOf1Doc.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...fDocMMerge.htm

"Mike87" wrote in message
Thank you!

"Mike87" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike87 Mike87 is offline

Suzanne, thanks for your help, the Page x of y thing works fine. I am still
having a problem though.

Since I want to add notes pages, I need each student guide page number to be
numbered in a skip-sequence, i.e. 1,3,5,7,9, etc since the notes pages will
be 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

I have tried the {={page} +1} formula, but that still give me pages 2, 3, 4,
instead of 2, 4, 6.

Also, if I use calculated page numbers, will this make the page numbering in
my TOC useless?

Cheers..

Mike

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I overlooked your Page X of Y requirement, but I imagine you can figure out
how to do that as well (the Y will also have to be calculated { = NUMPAGES *
2 }). As for the notes pages, I guess you'd either have to have more than
one, or you'd need to use one of the numbering schemes described in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...piesOf1Doc.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...fDocMMerge.htm

"Mike87" wrote in message
Thank you!

"Mike87" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need { = { PAGE } * 2 - 1 }

This is similar to the problem in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/Print2Pages.htm except that you're
printing separate runs of pages rather than two to a sheet (which Word can
now do automatically, anyway).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I overlooked your Page X of Y requirement, but I imagine you can figure
out
how to do that as well (the Y will also have to be calculated { =
NUMPAGES *
2 }). As for the notes pages, I guess you'd either have to have more than
one, or you'd need to use one of the numbering schemes described in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...piesOf1Doc.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...fDocMMerge.htm

"Mike87" wrote in message
Thank you!