Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gayle B. Gayle B. is offline

Default auto tex

i'm a new user of Word 2007. What happened to the auto text function? I use
this ALL the time. For example, my company is Vacation Resorts
International. I used to have it set up so that when i typed in "vaca" a box
would pop up with Vacation Resorts International spelled out, i'd hit enter
and that would type out in my document. Where is that function?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is no autocomplete in Word 2007. Instead type vaca and press F3 to
insert the entry - or if you want it automatic, set up an autocorrect entry
instead eg replace #vaca with Vacation Resorts International. Autocorrect
can handle everything that auto text could manage, except the prompts. The
exchange is instead instant. All you have to do is remember your shortcuts

If you adopt the latter plan you will find it useful to add the autocorrect
tool to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar)

Gayle B. wrote:
i'm a new user of Word 2007. What happened to the auto text
function? I use this ALL the time. For example, my company is
Vacation Resorts International. I used to have it set up so that
when i typed in "vaca" a box would pop up with Vacation Resorts
International spelled out, i'd hit enter and that would type out in
my document. Where is that function?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Deirdre Sykes Deirdre Sykes is offline

There is another option, however this requires assigning shortcut keys to the
autotext (in this case Word 2007 - AutoText is part of Quick Parts).

NB: Existing AutoText...
First, assigning shortcut keys:
1. Click on the Office button (top left round button).
2. Click on Word Options at the bottom.
3. Click on Customize on the left.
4. Down the bottom, somewhat to the left, click on the Customize... button.
5. Under Categories: scroll down until AutoText can be seen (below the
dash-line).
6. Click on AutoText.
7. Under AutoText, on the right, scroll down until the 'Vacation Resorts
International' appears.
8. Click on Vacation Resorts International to select it.
9. Below that in Press new shortcut key: click in the text box.

10. Press keys e.g. Alt+v; that means hold down Alt and press v.
More letters can be typed while holding down the Alt key.

This assigns the quick keys to enter you AutoText Quick Parts.
11. Click on Close.

Alt, Shft and Ctrl can also be used in different combinations with
other keys.

NB: When creating the AutoText, the name in Create New Building Block is the
short name that was originally given to the action for completion when
pressing Enter or Tab.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
Now that I have thoroughly confused you...

Creating an AutoText:
AutoText is part of QuickParts which also belong to Buildings Blocks.
Building Block Organizer contains many different Quick Parts.

Before going too far:
Look at the Insert Tab; Text Group; QuickParts (top middle)

To create an AutoText:
1. Select the text to be included in the AutoText.
2. Click on Quick Parts.
3. Click on Save selection to Quick Parts Gallery.
4. Name: short name
5. Gallery: select the AutoText Gallery in the drop-down.
6. Click OK.

This is the short of it.

I hope that this has been of assistance to you.
Regards, Deirdre