Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry B

Default Spell check hickups

I have Office 97. Some mispelled words don't come up as misspelled. For
example, "mssed". It is not in my custom dictionary or in the Auto Correct
list.

Where can I look to correct this, if anywhere? Thanks,

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anne Troy

Hi, Larry. Try this:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Larry B" wrote in message
I have Office 97. Some mispelled words don't come up as misspelled. For
example, "mssed". It is not in my custom dictionary or in the Auto Correct
list.

Where can I look to correct this, if anywhere? Thanks,

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry B

Hi Anne,

I have 98SE instead of XP, but same difference.

Spell Check is working in that it does pick up many words, but not all.
"Mssed" is one of them.

Thanks, Larry

"Larry B" wrote in message
I have Office 97. Some mispelled words don't come up as misspelled. For
example, "mssed". It is not in my custom dictionary or in the Auto

Correct
list.

Where can I look to correct this, if anywhere? Thanks,

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

Hmmm. Just checked "mssed" by typing it into a new Word 2003
document. Word 2003 immediately flagged it as misspelled. At
least there is some spelling relief for you when you upgrade.

It's of small consolation but you could use the AutoCorrect
feature of Word to replace "mssed" with "missed" if you tend to
misspell the word on occasion.

Insert AutoText AutoText AutoCorrect tab
Enter "mssed" in the Replace block and "missed" in the With block.

Good luck.

"Larry B" wrote in message
I have Office 97. Some mispelled words don't come up as misspelled. For
example, "mssed". It is not in my custom dictionary or in the Auto

Correct
list.

Where can I look to correct this, if anywhere? Thanks,

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The version of Windows you have is irrelevant. There are several possible
reasons for spell check not to work in Word (generally or in specific
documents), but when a specific misspelled word in a document is not
flagged, the likelihood is that:

1. You have inadvertently added it to your custom dictionary. To check,
access the dictionary (from the Spelling & Grammar tab of Tools | Options)
and look for the word; delete if found.

2. The word is marked as "Do not check spelling or grammar" ("(no proofing)"
in older versions). Select the word, then go to Tools | Language | Set
Language and make sure that the correct language is selected and that "Do
not check spelling or grammar" is not checked. While you're there, clear the
check box for "Detect language automatically," which doesn't work well
enough to be useful.

You might also check to see whether the spelling checker flags "hickups."

"Larry B" wrote in message
I have Office 97. Some mispelled words don't come up as misspelled. For
example, "mssed". It is not in my custom dictionary or in the Auto

Correct
list.

Where can I look to correct this, if anywhere? Thanks,

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry B

Default Spell check hiccups

Dear Suzanne,

#1- Already done, see original post.
#2- W97 does not have the two check boxes in Set Language that you refer to.

Could it just be a *hiccup* in the irrelevant Word 97 embedded dictionary?

Thanks for your insights.

Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

so
all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
I have Office 97. Some mispelled words don't come up as misspelled.

For
example, "mssed". It is not in my custom dictionary or in the Auto

Correct
list.

Where can I look to correct this, if anywhere? Thanks,

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In Word 97 you need to make sure that the word is not formatted as "(no
proofing)."

Dear Suzanne,

#1- Already done, see original post.
#2- W97 does not have the two check boxes in Set Language that you refer

to.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
I have Office 97. Some mispelled words don't come up as misspelled.

For
example, "mssed". It is not in my custom dictionary or in the Auto
Correct
list.

Where can I look to correct this, if anywhere? Thanks,

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry B

Ok, you got me.

Where do I find out if the word has been formatted as "(no proofing)"? I
(thought that I) checked everywhere.

Thanks, Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
In Word 97 you need to make sure that the word is not formatted as "(no
proofing)."

so
all may benefit.

Dear Suzanne,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=89646 "WD97: Error Msg:
Text Formatted with No Proofing Was Skipped".

Larry B wrote:

Ok, you got me.

Where do I find out if the word has been formatted as "(no proofing)"? I
(thought that I) checked everywhere.

Thanks, Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

In Word 97 you need to make sure that the word is not formatted as "(no
proofing)."

so

all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Dear Suzanne,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry B

Thank you. Clear enough. Unfortunately, that did not solve it. The document
and that particular work does not have "no proofing" formatting as
indicated by English being shown as the default language and that when I
initiate a spellcheck, there is no disclaimer about "no proofing" areas
having been skipped.

Thanks for your help, though.

Is there any way to look at the native dictionary's contents (not
Custom.dic)?

Larry

Larry B wrote:

Ok, you got me.

Where do I find out if the word has been formatted as "(no proofing)"? I
(thought that I) checked everywhere.

Thanks, Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

In Word 97 you need to make sure that the word is not formatted as "(no
proofing)."

newsgroup

so

all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Dear Suzanne,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie

As far as I know, the main dictionary's .lex file is not in
human-readable form.

Larry B wrote:

Ok, you got me.

Where do I find out if the word has been formatted as "(no proofing)"? I
(thought that I) checked everywhere.

Thanks, Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

In Word 97 you need to make sure that the word is not formatted as "(no
proofing)."

newsgroup

so

all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Dear Suzanne,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anne Troy

Larry, after you un-set the "no proofing", did you hit the RECHECK button
under Tools--Options, Spelling and Grammar?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

Larry B wrote:

Ok, you got me.

Where do I find out if the word has been formatted as "(no proofing)"?
(thought that I) checked everywhere.

Thanks, Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

In Word 97 you need to make sure that the word is not formatted as "(no
proofing)."

newsgroup

so

all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Dear Suzanne,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry B

Hi Anne,

Yes, and since the dcument contains just this one "non-word" word, it
immediately says that it is complete.

Larry

Larry B wrote:

Ok, you got me.

Where do I find out if the word has been formatted as "(no

proofing)"?
(thought that I) checked everywhere.

Thanks, Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

In Word 97 you need to make sure that the word is not formatted as

"(no
proofing)."

newsgroup

so

all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Dear Suzanne,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anne Troy

Can I see it, Larry?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

Larry B wrote:

Ok, you got me.

Where do I find out if the word has been formatted as "(no

proofing)"?
(thought that I) checked everywhere.

Thanks, Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

In Word 97 you need to make sure that the word is not formatted as

"(no
proofing)."

newsgroup

so

all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Dear Suzanne,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry B

OK, how do I make that happen?

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Can I see it, Larry?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

Larry B wrote:

Ok, you got me.

Where do I find out if the word has been formatted as "(no

proofing)"?
(thought that I) checked everywhere.

Thanks, Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

In Word 97 you need to make sure that the word is not formatted as

"(no
proofing)."

newsgroup

so

all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Dear Suzanne,

#1- Already done, see original post.
#2- W97 does not have the two check boxes in Set Language that

you
refer

to.

[...]

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Hi Anne,

I have 98SE instead of XP, but same difference.

Spell Check is working in that it does pick up many words, but
not

all.

"Mssed" is one of them.

Thanks, Larry

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
. ..

Hi, Larry. Try this:

http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm

************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Larry B" wrote in message
. ..

I have Office 97. Some mispelled words don't come up as

misspelled.

For

example, "mssed". It is not in my custom dictionary or in the

Auto

Correct

list.

Where can I look to correct this, if anywhere? Thanks,

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anne Troy

Sorry, Larry!! I missed your post. email to anybody's name at
OfficeArticles.com, and I'll receive it.
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Larry B" wrote in message
OK, how do I make that happen?

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Can I see it, Larry?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

Larry B wrote:

Ok, you got me.

Where do I find out if the word has been formatted as "(no
proofing)"?
(thought that I) checked everywhere.

Thanks, Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

In Word 97 you need to make sure that the word is not formatted
as
"(no
proofing)."

newsgroup

so

all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Dear Suzanne,

#1- Already done, see original post.
#2- W97 does not have the two check boxes in Set Language that

you
refer

to.

[...]

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Hi Anne,

I have 98SE instead of XP, but same difference.

Spell Check is working in that it does pick up many words, but
not

all.

"Mssed" is one of them.

Thanks, Larry

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
. ..

Hi, Larry. Try this:

http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm

************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Larry B" wrote in message
. ..

I have Office 97. Some mispelled words don't come up as

misspelled.

For

example, "mssed". It is not in my custom dictionary or in
the

Auto

Correct

list.

Where can I look to correct this, if anywhere? Thanks,

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry B

Hi Anne, I emailed the screen shot a few days ago. thanks

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Sorry, Larry!! I missed your post. email to anybody's name at
OfficeArticles.com, and I'll receive it.
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Larry B" wrote in message
OK, how do I make that happen?

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Can I see it, Larry?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

Larry B wrote:

Ok, you got me.

Where do I find out if the word has been formatted as "(no
proofing)"?
(thought that I) checked everywhere.

Thanks, Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

In Word 97 you need to make sure that the word is not formatted
as
"(no
proofing)."

newsgroup

so

all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Dear Suzanne,

#1- Already done, see original post.
#2- W97 does not have the two check boxes in Set Language that

you
refer

to.

[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the

newsgroup

so

all may benefit.

"Larry B" wrote in message
.. .

Hi Anne,

I have 98SE instead of XP, but same difference.

Spell Check is working in that it does pick up many words,

but
not

all.

"Mssed" is one of them.