Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Rooney

Default Saving the "newsgroup view" to a file

By "newsgroup view" I'm referring to the list of messages which appears in
the middle of the screen, which has columns for Subject, From, Sent, Size,
etc. and which can be "sorted" in various orders.
Is it possible to save this list to a text file which can be examined later?
In that way one could research topics that were discussed in the past, in
ways that might be superior to what the Find action can do.
In other words, I would like to "redirect" the view to a file, similar to
saying (in the MSDOS box) dir dir.txt .
I know this is a broad question that would apply to all newsgroups. If there
is a more appropriate newsgroup for this question, please redirect me!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stephen Glynn

Depends what newsreader you're using.

Have you considered simply using Google Groups' advanced search
facilities to research your topics?

http://groups.google.com/

Steve

By "newsgroup view" I'm referring to the list of messages which appears in
the middle of the screen, which has columns for Subject, From, Sent, Size,
etc. and which can be "sorted" in various orders.
Is it possible to save this list to a text file which can be examined later?
In that way one could research topics that were discussed in the past, in
ways that might be superior to what the Find action can do.
In other words, I would like to "redirect" the view to a file, similar to
saying (in the MSDOS box) dir dir.txt .
I know this is a broad question that would apply to all newsgroups. If there
is a more appropriate newsgroup for this question, please redirect me!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Rooney

I'm using Outlook Express provided by Earthlink. I actually want to search
for topics using my own software, which is why I would like to get the list
of Subjects-From-Sent as an offline text file.

"Stephen Glynn" wrote in message
Depends what newsreader you're using.

Have you considered simply using Google Groups' advanced search facilities
to research your topics?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Rooney

No, because I want to develop a product. There's no particular subject I am
searching for right now. Besides, I don't consider the Find tool in OE to be
very good. For example, you can search for "page numbering" but "numbering
page" will come up empty. Also, I want to search not just the past few
months, but the past several years. Are there archives?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Why not just search within OE? It has a perfectly good search feature. You
can also search visually for specific subject lines if you sort by
subject.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stephen Glynn

Out of interest, I've just done a search of Google Groups for "page"
AND "numbering" in microsoft.public.word.newusers. It took 0.20 seconds
to find 260 threads, going back to 1999.

Steve