Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Amy Blankenship

Default Postal code shows "0" when non-numeric characters present

I'm doing a mail merge from an excel spread sheet. When the postal code
contains letters or dashes, or is forced to a text format to allow for a
leading 0, the postal code comes in as 0. I'm sure this didn't happen last
year with mostly the same list, but I had to force the column to format as
text to allow some new addresses whose zip codes began with 0. I think this
is the cause of the problem, but what's the fix?

Thanks;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
I'm doing a mail merge from an excel spread sheet. When the postal code
contains letters or dashes, or is forced to a text format to allow for a
leading 0, the postal code comes in as 0. I'm sure this didn't happen
last year with mostly the same list, but I had to force the column to
format as text to allow some new addresses whose zip codes began with 0.
I think this is the cause of the problem, but what's the fix?

Thanks;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Amy Blankenship

Is there a way to apply these instructions to the Address Block that's added
by the insert address block button or the mail merge wizard?

Thanks;

Amy

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
I'm doing a mail merge from an excel spread sheet. When the postal code
contains letters or dashes, or is forced to a text format to allow for a
leading 0, the postal code comes in as 0. I'm sure this didn't happen
last year with mostly the same list, but I had to force the column to
format as text to allow some new addresses whose zip codes began with 0.
I think this is the cause of the problem, but what's the fix?

Thanks;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I wouldn't use the Address Block. Better to insert the fields that YOU want
in the configuration that YOU want.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

It's a no! Using the individual fields is preferable.
However see the Excel data section of
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm which page also
explains how to avoid using the Mail merge wizard.

Amy Blankenship wrote:
Is that a no?

I wouldn't use the Address Block. Better to insert the fields that
YOU want in the configuration that YOU want.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in
message ...
Is there a way to apply these instructions to the Address Block
that's added by the insert address block button or the mail merge
wizard? Thanks;

Amy

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at

Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in
message ...
I'm doing a mail merge from an excel spread sheet. When the
postal code contains letters or dashes, or is forced to a text
format to allow for a leading 0, the postal code comes in as 0. I'm
sure this didn't happen last year with mostly the same list,
but I had to force the column to format as text to allow some new
addresses whose zip codes began with 0. I think this is the cause
of the problem, but what's the fix?

Thanks;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

As good as. But to be precise "There is no way to apply formatting to the
individual elements of the AddressBlock"