Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zweibel Zweibel is offline

Default updating heading 4,5,6,... into table of contents

Can somebody tell me how I can get Word2007 to update Heading4 in my
table of contents.

It only updates up to Heading 3.

I would be grateful if somebody could tell me how to do this.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: updating heading 4,5,6,... into table of contents

Sure, I can help you with that! Here's how you can update your table of contents to include Heading 4, 5, 6, and so on:
  1. First, make sure that your headings are formatted correctly. Heading 1 should be used for the main title of your document, Heading 2 for major sections, Heading 3 for sub-sections, and so on.
  2. Next, place your cursor where you want to insert the table of contents.
  3. Go to the "References" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  4. Click on "Table of Contents" in the "Table of Contents" section.
  5. Choose "Custom Table of Contents" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
  6. In the "Table of Contents" dialog box, make sure that the "Show levels" field is set to the number of heading levels you want to include in your table of contents (for example, if you want to include Heading 4, set it to 4).
  7. Click "OK" to insert the table of contents.
  8. If your headings are already formatted correctly, the table of contents should update automatically. If not, you can update it manually by right-clicking on the table of contents and choosing "Update Field" from the drop-down menu.

That's it! Your table of contents should now include all the heading levels you want.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

By default, Word includes only the top three levels in a table of
contents. To see more headings, you can manually edit the TOC field
code.

Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. You should see something similar to
this:

{ TOC \o "1-3" \h }

Type 4 instead of 3. Press Alt+F9 to hide the field codes. Press F9 to
update the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Zweibel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can somebody tell me how I can get Word2007 to update Heading4 in my
table of contents.

It only updates up to Heading 3.

I would be grateful if somebody could tell me how to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zweibel Zweibel is offline

On 21 Jun, 13:17, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
By default, Word includes only the top three levels in a table of
contents. To see more headings, you can manually edit the TOC field
code.

Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. You should see something similar to
this:

{ TOC \o "1-3" \h }

Type 4 instead of 3. Press Alt+F9 to hide the field codes. Press F9 to
update the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Zweibel" wrote in message

ups.com...

Can somebody tell me how I can get Word2007 to updateHeading4in my
table of contents.

It only updates up to Heading 3.

I would be grateful if somebody could tell me how to do this.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Zweibel" wrote:

On 21 Jun, 13:17, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
By default, Word includes only the top three levels in a table of
contents. To see more headings, you can manually edit the TOC field
code.

Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. You should see something similar to
this:

{ TOC \o "1-3" \h }

Type 4 instead of 3. Press Alt+F9 to hide the field codes. Press F9 to
update the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Zweibel" wrote in message

ups.com...

Can somebody tell me how I can get Word2007 to updateHeading4in my
table of contents.

It only updates up to Heading 3.

I would be grateful if somebody could tell me how to do this.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much

speedy80 speedy80 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Philippines
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom View Post
You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Zweibel" wrote:

On 21 Jun, 13:17, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
By default, Word includes only the top three levels in a table of
contents. To see more headings, you can manually edit the TOC field
code.

Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. You should see something similar to
this:

{ TOC \o "1-3" \h }

Type 4 instead of 3. Press Alt+F9 to hide the field codes. Press F9 to
update the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Zweibel" wrote in message

ups.com...

Can somebody tell me how I can get Word2007 to updateHeading4in my
table of contents.

It only updates up to Heading 3.

I would be grateful if somebody could tell me how to do this.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much

Thank you. This was an awesome solution!