Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Default editing caption numbering separator Word 2007

I can't work out how to edit the numbering style for captions (with inclusion
of the chapter number).
The problem has been trying to change the separator in the caption number.
In one case I had decided on the form "Figure 4.1" etc., and then wanted to
change that to "Figure 4-1", etc.
In another case I had selected a hyphen as the separator ("Figure 4-1") but
found that Word kept changing the hyphen separator to an en-dash ("Figure
7€“1). So in that case the problem was also to try and force the caption
numbering to use the hyphen. (So that's really two problems I have.)
Right-clicking and going to "Define new number format" doesn't do it. And I
can't a way to change the separator within the field code, because the code
itself doesn't contain the separator.
So far my only solution has been to try deleting the initial caption and
then reinserting it with the correct separator. But that seems to create a
new set of problems because Word apparently still continues to see the
deleted caption which throws out the numbering sequence. (I guess that makes
a total of three problems!)
Any guidance will be much appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm intrigued by your
statement that "Word kept changing the hyphen separator to an en-dash"
because (a) I would not expect this between two numbers with no spaces, and
(b) Word offers the en dash separately as one of the separator options.
FWIW, the "figure dash" provided in some large fonts is very similar to an
en dash, and this longer dash is preferred by many publishers.

http://word.mvps.org

"David Newmarch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

In another case I had selected a hyphen as the separator ("Figure 4-1") but
found that Word kept changing the hyphen separator to an en-dash ("Figure
7€“1).

I had that problem for several days last summer. I tried everything, even
considered replacing the "en dashes" with hyphens just the job was finished.
Then, I happened to switch off formatting marks while on a page with a
caption, and what do you know, the "hyphens" were right there. I suspect
that Word does not use the regular hyphen between the numbers because they
would wrap near line endings.

In W2007, to change the numbering in captions, go to insert caption; click
the numbering button; and make your changes. All captions with the same label
should reflect your changes.

Pam

David Newmarch wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Thanks, Suzanne, for the suggestion, and Pam for your practical pointer.
Grateful to you both.

I continue to be puzzled by the unwanted en-dash, but it seems to be a
sporadic problem as I move from one file to the next through a series of
chapters I'm editing which have yet to be consolidated, and I suspect, as Pam
as found, that it will in due course resolve itself.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Indeed; the nonbreaking hyphen does look enough like an en dash that I have
to toggle nonprinting characters to make sure that I've actually inserted a
nonbreaking hyphen and not absent-mindedly used an en dash instead.

http://word.mvps.org