Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terrie A. Terrie A. is offline

Default Disable header & footer on multiple pages

I have our letterhead setup with a header and footer. Any of our staff can
put that file on their desktop as a shortcut and use it to create letters.
What is happening is that the header and footer on a one page letter is fine.
BUT, when the letter is 2, 3 or 4 pages long, the header and footer keep
printing on those pages as well. Is there no way to "disable" on the header
and footer on page 2, 3, and 4? I've tried using Section breaks but I am
obviously doing something wrong because it still prints on pages 2, 3, and 4.
Thanks!
--
Terrie A.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

The part you are missing is to disable the "Link to Previous" part of
the section break. In the letterhead I did for our office, I setup the
letterhead so that "Different First Page" was how the section was
formatted.

A trick is to create your document and then put in a manual page break -
format the second page header and footer the way you would if you
actually had more than two pages. Then delete the manual page break. The
formatting for the headers and footers on the now "hidden" pages will be
retained in your template which will make it easier for your users.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"Terrie A." wrote in message
:

I have our letterhead setup with a header and footer. Any of our staff can
put that file on their desktop as a shortcut and use it to create letters.
What is happening is that the header and footer on a one page letter is fine.
BUT, when the letter is 2, 3 or 4 pages long, the header and footer keep
printing on those pages as well. Is there no way to "disable" on the header
and footer on page 2, 3, and 4? I've tried using Section breaks but I am
obviously doing something wrong because it still prints on pages 2, 3, and 4.
Thanks!
--
Terrie A.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/24/2007 11:27 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terrie A. Terrie A. is offline

I can't get that to work...... I created page one with a header and footer.
I added Section 2, Section 3, Section 4 so on the screen when I call up that
document, it shows page one with the header and footer and then nothing on
pages 2,3,4. But as you start to type on page one and fill that page, when
it rolls to page 2, it repeats the header / footer from page one. I do not
have Section 2 linked to previous and I selected new page and from this
section foward. Then I linked Section 3 to previous and Section 4 to
previous.
--
Terrie A.

"Terrie A." wrote in message
:

I have our letterhead setup with a header and footer. Any of our staff can
put that file on their desktop as a shortcut and use it to create letters.
What is happening is that the header and footer on a one page letter is fine.
BUT, when the letter is 2, 3 or 4 pages long, the header and footer keep
printing on those pages as well. Is there no way to "disable" on the header
and footer on page 2, 3, and 4? I've tried using Section breaks but I am
obviously doing something wrong because it still prints on pages 2, 3, and 4.
Thanks!
--
Terrie A.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/24/2007 11:27 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Terrie -

When you are typing you are creating additional pages in the same
section. So you need to make sure that Section 1 has "Different First
Page" set and then the second page header is the way you want it. That's
why I suggested that you use a Manual page break rather than section
breaks.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP
"Education Lasts a Lifetime"
This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and questions
to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

news