Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Semjon Katatschkow Semjon Katatschkow is offline

Default Unicode support for Proofing Tools 2003 Russian (grammar and spelling settings)

I have a problem with Proofing tools 2003, when I open the grammar and
spelling settings in Word to set the Russian proofing tools options, 2/3 of
the characters displayed there are unreadable, because most obviously,
proofing tools does not support unicode. In order to display these
characters properly, I'd have to set Russian as my preferred language in the
WinXp regional settings, but I can't do that, because this change would
break the support for the German language.

The situation is indeed ludicrous. The entire idea behind Proofing Tools is
to allow Word users to check the spelling of documents whose language
DEVIATES from the native Word language, because, most obviously, a German
version of Word comes already bundled with German proofing tools and so on.
Unicode support is thus a major prerequisite. How is a user of a German OS
and a German version of Word supposed to display characters encoded NOT in
unicode, but in a Russian encoding that cannot be read on a German Windows
system? It seems that Microsoft simply included the proofing tools from the
localised Russian version of office 2003 on the Proofing Tools CD, without
considering the fact that these proofing tools will be used in an
non-Russian environment.

If somebody knows whether one can somehow fix this problem WITHOUT changing
the regional settings of the entire OS, please let me know