How to insert a new caption (Table) without changing Figures.

Old November 3rd 06, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Techie Writer

Default How to insert a new caption (Table) without changing Figures.

In a Word 2004 document, I have inserted captions for Figures. When I insert
a caption for a Table, it changes all the "Figure" captions to "Table". If I
change one back to "Figure", it changes them all to "Figure" including the
one that was inserted as a "Table". Very frustrating!
Old November 3rd 06, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erik Bo Sørensen

You probably has the "update automatically" setting turn on for the style you
are using for the captions.

Select the style in question, choose "modify", uncheck the "update
automatically"

--
Good Luck
Erik Bo

Old November 4th 06, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

Hmm. I can't get that to happen in Word 2004, even with automatically
update on. To be honest, since Insert | Caption should insert hard-coded
text, that really doesn't make any sense at all. (If you hit option-F9, you
will see the number change to a field code, but the label is plain text,
there shouldn't be anything that *can* update it.) Were you copying and
pasting the captions or anything? How did you create them?

Wild guess--perhaps the doc is corrupt. Try the fixes here ON A COPY.
http://word.mvps.org/Mac/DocumentCorruption.html

I assume you really are using a Mac and 2004 was not just a typo. If so,
and corrupt doesn't fix it, please follow this up on the MacWord newsgroup
rather than this busy and overcrowded newsgroup, in case it is a Mac issue.

See here for Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord, MacExcel,
and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

On 11/3/06 12:17 PM, "Techie Writer" wrote:

In a Word 2004 document, I have inserted captions for Figures. When I insert
a caption for a Table, it changes all the "Figure" captions to "Table". If I
change one back to "Figure", it changes them all to "Figure" including the
one that was inserted as a "Table". Very frustrating!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Old November 5th 06, 12:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erik Bo Sørensen

I have no idea about the default caption-style in Word2004.

But in Word2007 the default style for Captions is "Caption"

In Word2003 and Word2007 it is possible to modify the style used by captions
- including the "automatically update" setting.

--
Best regards
Erik Bo

Old November 5th 06, 02:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Modifying the Caption style, however, should not change the labels inserted
by the Insert | Reference | Caption command. If you have included the word
"Figure" or "Table" in numbering applied to the Caption style, then this
would explain your difficulty.

"Erik Bo Sørensen" wrote in
message ...

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/