Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Default Page numbering for seperate documents in one file

It seems to be very difficult to have several documents within the same file,
when you want to show the page numbering both the current page and the total
pages. Thus, if you have a file with 5 documents that each start out as no
numbering on page 1, but then numbering after that as Page # of ## pages.
it is very difficult to get it right, even with section breaks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I don't quite understand your question, plus you should always state
Word and OS version.

If you just want to hide numbering on the first page, then you use a
Different First Page header and put Page X of Y in the regular
header/footer. Put a section break between each of your five chapters or
letters or whatever, and make sure each section has a Different First
Page header. More info:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

If you are restarting numbering in each section, but you want to show
the full accumulation of pages, see he
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Page_Numbering.htm

Reading those links should help you explain more clearly what you need
to do, if they don't solve it.

PS. To Word, a document is a file. It will be simpler all around if you
think in terms of chapters or letters or whatever, within one Word
document or Word file.

bretsharon wrote:
It seems to be very difficult to have several documents within the same file,
when you want to show the page numbering both the current page and the total
pages. Thus, if you have a file with 5 documents that each start out as no
numbering on page 1, but then numbering after that as Page # of ## pages.
it is very difficult to get it right, even with section breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Thank you for your comments. Let me explain further. I use word 2007 and
and XP Professional.

I am a lawyer doing lots of agreements for one client. Lets say a client is
doing a deal and it requires 8 separate documents, each separate and
distinct, but having common parties. Thus if there is a misspelling say of
one party's name, to fix it, I have to separtely open each separate document.
Instead, in wordperfect, all of these documents are in one document and I
could make the change by one action.

Each document would start its own renumbering, leaving page 1 of each blank
on the page numbering. The total pages number had to me inserted manually
for each document, but this was not difficult to do.

In Word, I can't seem to say don't number page 1 of each document when that
it is a new document, so I am forced to have 8 separate files.

bretsharon wrote:
It seems to be very difficult to have several documents within the same file,
when you want to show the page numbering both the current page and the total
pages. Thus, if you have a file with 5 documents that each start out as no
numbering on page 1, but then numbering after that as Page # of ## pages.
it is very difficult to get it right, even with section breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Insert Section Breaks between each document and use a Different First Page
Header/Footer in each Section. Do not put any page numbering in the First
Page Header/Footer. Set the page number format to start at 1 for each
Section and to the get total number of pages in each Section, use a {
SECTIONPAGES } field.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

bretsharon wrote:
It seems to be very difficult to have several documents within the same
file,
when you want to show the page numbering both the current page and the
total
pages. Thus, if you have a file with 5 documents that each start out
as no
numbering on page 1, but then numbering after that as Page # of ##
pages.
it is very difficult to get it right, even with section breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Thank you. This Works, although the numbering seems to be haphazard at best,
but eventually it does work.