Judy in Kailua

Default pictures do not display

I have downloaded the latest driver for my nVidia GeForce FX 5200, dropped
hardware acceleration to 0, and reduced the color quality. Graphics still
don't display.

On a blank Word page, I can get photos to display by clicking Insert Photo,
selecting the image I want, right clicking it to Copy, closing the explorer,
then dlicking to Paste. HOWEVER, this does NOT work within a table, such as a
page of labels.

The image is there...it prints. It is not visible in Print or Web format,
can't make it appear by scrolling around, stumbling on it and converting it
to "inline" format.

Any other ideas?
Herb Tyson [MVP]

It's hard to know if it's a settings issue, or just what. If you choose
Tools - Options - View, is Picture Placeholders checked? If so, uncheck it.
Under Print and Web Layout options, is Drawings checked? If not, then check
it.

Are you having problems in applications other than Word? What version of
Word are you using?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Judy in Kailua" wrote in message
I have downloaded the latest driver for my nVidia GeForce FX 5200, dropped
hardware acceleration to 0, and reduced the color quality. Graphics still
don't display.

On a blank Word page, I can get photos to display by clicking Insert
Photo,
selecting the image I want, right clicking it to Copy, closing the
explorer,
then dlicking to Paste. HOWEVER, this does NOT work within a table, such
as a
page of labels.

The image is there...it prints. It is not visible in Print or Web format,
can't make it appear by scrolling around, stumbling on it and converting
it
to "inline" format.

Any other ideas?

Judy in Kailua

Picture Placeholders is not checked
Drawings IS checked
Word is the only application I'm having trouble with.
I'm using Word 2003, running WinXP.

THANK YOU!

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Do the pictures show up in Print Preview mode (File - Print Preview)?

My bets were on Drawing not being checked, since it's the only option that
consistently produces the behavior you're seeing. My other guess would be
some kind of settings corruption in the registry.

What about if you start Word in Safe mode? Hold down the Ctrl key when
starting Word, and say Yes to starting in Safe mode. In safe mode, are the
pictures now visible (choose View - Print Layout)?

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Okay... could be a setting we haven't looked at yet, or it could be a
corruption issue.

First, I'd try finding/renaming Normal.dot to see if that fixes it. If it
does and if you don't have any customizations you need to preserve (e.g.,
macros, key assignments, custom styles, etc), then you're done. Word will
happily create a new Normal.dot for you.

If that doesn't work, then I'd try renaming the Data key in the registry.
It's:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Data

With Word *not* running, I would start regedit (Start - Run, type "regedit",
without the quotes; then navigate to the locatoin shown above), and rename
Data as Data.old. Then start Word. If the problem is fixed, you will have
lost some Tools - Options settings (i.e., they'll revert to Word's vanilla
defaults), but they're generally easy enough to recreate as you tame things
that annoy you.

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Judy in Kailua

Once again, Herb, I think you're onto something. It seems like every time I
try to close Word I get a dialog about changes to normal.dot. I have no idea
what it's about but I believe there's some connection to an Outlook overlay I
have that's for real estate. I'll call their tech guy tomorrow and see if I
can get this bug from both sides. You have been SO HELPFUL! Mahalo nui!