Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bacon Bacon is offline

Default Can you link text form fields within a Word 2003 template?

I am trying to figure out if I can copy or link a field from a table to
another field in the same document? This document is in a template form. Can
someone help me? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Bacon

Bacon wrote:
I am trying to figure out if I can copy or link a field from a table to
another field in the same document? This document is in a template form. Can
someone help me? Thanks!

It's not entirely clear what you are having in front of you, nor what
you want to achieve. For instance, a document is either a template _or_
a document.

If you want to repeat something, the usualy answer is either: use a
cross-reference (to, say, a bookmark) or a STYLEREF field.

Some fields have to be updated manually, or the update has to be
triggered (through a switch to one of the "live" views of Word, or
programmatically).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bacon Bacon is offline

Sorry that I wasn't clear. What I'm trying to do is this... In a template
..dot I want to be able to enter text in a field and have it copied to another
field in the same template. The cross reference did not work. How do I use
the styleref field?

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Bacon

Bacon wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For help with the StyleRef field, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm. But also see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

"Bacon" wrote in message
Sorry that I wasn't clear. What I'm trying to do is this... In a template
.dot I want to be able to enter text in a field and have it copied to

another
field in the same template. The cross reference did not work. How do I use
the styleref field?

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Bacon

Bacon wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bacon Bacon is offline

Thank you Suzanne

I did figure out how to copy a field to another in a template .dot. I used
the Paste Special. I copied one field and paste special to another field in a
table. I then selected the Paste link as formatted text (rtf), saved and
locked the template. This worked!

Thanks for all your help!!

"Bacon" wrote in message
Sorry that I wasn't clear. What I'm trying to do is this... In a template
.dot I want to be able to enter text in a field and have it copied to

another
field in the same template. The cross reference did not work. How do I use
the styleref field?

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Bacon