Gillman

Default Caption numbering problem in TOC

I use Word XP, on Win XP.
The numbering in my captions for tables under heading 4.0
will not appear in my TOC (Inserted Table of Figures,
changed label to Tables, from template) and it merged the
Table of Figures (actual figures in document) into the
same TOC. One thing I probably did wrong is force the
tables to number correctly by giving the tables in 4.0 a
New Label of Table 4. The reason I did this is if I try
use the Label "Tables" (from 3.0), it starts the
numbering from the last numbered table in 3.0, i.e., the
last table in 3.0 was 3-44 and then the tables under 4
will look like 4-45.
I did this out of desperation because the original
document seemed to have some corruption in it as the
captions in 4.0 were first coming up as 0-1 instead of 4-
1 so I copied the whole document (w/out last paragraph
sign) into a fresh page and that issue went away.
Even worse, there is a ton of Direct Formatting from
previous users, headings look like Heading 1, heading 1,
char char-I don't know if this is an issue here or not-?
If you have read this far, Thank YOU and please advise
with anything at all. I have yet to find an answer to
this weird problem.
Sincerely,
Gillman
Margaret Aldis

The standard way of building a table of figures or tables picks up captions
with a particular label (Table, for tables). So your new label is the
problem here - see my answer to your later post to troubleshoot why you are
not getting your section number inserted correctly.

The build up of stylename aliases, including "char char" forms, is probably
not helping you see what is going on here. You can delete the comma and all
the names after the built-in Heading 1 name to help tidy up. Make sure you
have the latest updates to Word XP (the multiple char char build-up was a
bug in the first release).

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

Caption numbering reset Guy Tables 1 March 9th 05 08:40 AM
Print range problem with folio style page numbering [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 March 2nd 05 06:49 PM
Numbering - skip a level BruceM Microsoft Word Help 4 February 10th 05 08:56 PM
caption numbering Jin Tables 3 December 22nd 04 09:27 AM
table caption numbering scottkinsey Tables 1 November 11th 04 12:47 PM