Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jim[_5_] Jim[_5_] is offline

Default How Big is Too Big?

I am a writer for several publications and I use Word 2002. I use XP Home
with 4 GIGS of RAM. I write about 3,000 words per day.

Lately, my Word program is loading slowly, opening new pages slowly, etc.
Otherwise, the PC runs great.

There are lots of problems and/or conditions that can cause this to happen.

Right now, my Word document file is holding over 1,000 documents, some of
which are from about 25 KB in size to over 20,000 KB.

90% of these are not actively used. And, others, for instance, the 20,000
KB docs, could broken up into several smaller files.

My question concerns this condition. Is the slowness caused by too many
documents, excessively large documents, neither or both?

Should I simply move the unused documents into storage on an external disk
or a folder designed for storage with easy access?

Or, is the slowness caused by something else all together.

Thank you in advance. After reading many of the posts here, I am truly
impressed by the wealth of knowledge among the MVP's. You are golden.

Jim in Texas