Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jwyatt jwyatt is offline

Default Invisible tables in Office 2007

In Office 2003, I was able to see tables even if I did not choose to have
table borders (they showed up as grey lines). In Office 2007, my tables are
invisible unless I insert borders. I use templates which utilize tables but
do not have borders- not being able to see where the table is located will
make it extremely difficult to utilize these templates. Is there any way of
being able to see the table without formatting lines?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

What you could see - and want to see - are called gridlines.

In earlier versions of Word you could at any time select Table Show (or
Hide) Gridlines to change the setting.

In Word 2007 you must first make sure the selection is in a Table - any
table will do, it's not a per-table setting; then you can select (I don't
think it ever shows by default) the Layout tab in the contextual Table Tools
tab group. Finally you can click the View Gridlines button in the Table
Group to toggle the setting. This convolution is called fluency or
discoverability or something.

You can, if you want to toggle the setting often, add it to the QAT. In the
Customization dialog, the command is labeled View Table Gridlines; do not be
confused by the one labeled View Gridlines - it is something different. The
easier way to add it, of course, is to right click the button in the ribbon
and select Add to QAT.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"jwyatt" wrote in message
In Office 2003, I was able to see tables even if I did not choose to have
table borders (they showed up as grey lines). In Office 2007, my tables
are
invisible unless I insert borders. I use templates which utilize tables
but
do not have borders- not being able to see where the table is located will
make it extremely difficult to utilize these templates. Is there any way
of
being able to see the table without formatting lines?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Hi Tony,

You can still use the Word 2003 keyboard shortcut of Alt, A, G
to toggle the table gridline setting on/off without selecting the table (assuming 'text boundaries' aren't turned on to display).

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message ...
[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP