Simon Woodall

Default How do I keep links to excel sheets as short filenames?

I have a word document that links to information in an ExcelWorkbook. If I
e-mail both the document and the workbook to colleagues the links in the Word
document show the full path on _my_ machine, and even if the recipient opens
the Excel first, the word document gives an error. How can I make the
links "relative"?
NB I need each of several colleagues to change the excel differently, so
that the word document is right for them without change.
Word & Excel 2002.
CyberTaz

Based on what you describe, IMHO you would be better off using embedded
objects rather than linked objects. It would eliminate the path issue, negate
the Word error, and provide each recipient with their own respective Excel
file stored within their Word doc.

You can stay linked to your original, but when you need to send it out Save
As "whatever" and in the new copy Break the link & send the Word file only.

HTH |:)

"Simon Woodall" wrote:

I have a word document that links to information in an ExcelWorkbook. If I
e-mail both the document and the workbook to colleagues the links in the Word
document show the full path on _my_ machine, and even if the recipient opens
the Excel first, the word document gives an error. How can I make the
links "relative"?
NB I need each of several colleagues to change the excel differently, so
that the word document is right for them without change.
Word & Excel 2002.

Paul Atkins

1. Enforce the requirement that all users place their word/excel files in
the same path name on all computers. Don't change the filenames, but do
maintain version control using some sort of source control (configuration
management) tool. As a minimum, WinZip could be used.

2. Prepare a writeup for all users that explains how to fix the links (not
recommended, but it works)

3. Look at a product called LinkFixerPlus (May be cost effective if you deal
with a lot of files)

Good Luck!