Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel Daniel is offline

Default forms

on templates it is possible to have non-interactive text as fields that the
user cannot access with (for example) text content control boxes next to
them. How are these 'field names' created?!!!????
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

daniel wrote:
on templates it is possible to have non-interactive text as fields
that the user cannot access with (for example) text content control
boxes next to them. How are these 'field names' created?!!!????

You're describing "protected forms" (there are other kinds). See
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22 for a tutorial.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel Daniel is offline

i'm using word 2007 - when I try and protect the document I can select the
editing restrictions but not start enforcement (the button remains 'greyed
out'). Any ideas?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

daniel wrote:
on templates it is possible to have non-interactive text as fields
that the user cannot access with (for example) text content control
boxes next to them. How are these 'field names' created?!!!????

You're describing "protected forms" (there are other kinds). See
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22 for a tutorial.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On the Developer ribbon, make sure the Design Mode button is turned off (not
highlighted).

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

daniel wrote:
on templates it is possible to have non-interactive text as fields
that the user cannot access with (for example) text content control
boxes next to them. How are these 'field names' created?!!!????

You're describing "protected forms" (there are other kinds). See
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22 for a tutorial.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel Daniel is offline

one more question if its ok............when I create a rich text or plain
text content control box, edit what it says, check remove content control
when contents are edited and then start enforcing protection i cannot access
the box to enter text. It remains as it was - highlights when I put my mouse
over it but cannot be accessed. any ideas?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

daniel wrote:
on templates it is possible to have non-interactive text as fields
that the user cannot access with (for example) text content control
boxes next to them. How are these 'field names' created?!!!????

You're describing "protected forms" (there are other kinds). See
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22 for a tutorial.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Content controls and protected forms are not compatible. Choose one or the
other, not both.

You can achieve almost the same effect as a protected form by placing
content controls (only) in the document and then selecting the entire
document (Ctrl+A) and clicking Developer Group Group.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

daniel wrote:
on templates it is possible to have non-interactive text as
fields that the user cannot access with (for example) text
content control boxes next to them. How are these 'field names'
created?!!!????

You're describing "protected forms" (there are other kinds). See
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22 for a
tutorial.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel Daniel is offline

thanks. with grouping it still isn't allowing me to enter text in a plain
text content control box. the bottom of the document states that 'this
modification is not allowed because the selection is locked'???????????