Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George in Atlanta[_2_] George in Atlanta[_2_] is offline

Default Retaining formatting changes of cross-referenced bookmarks

I work with tables generated as a Word file by SAS, which does not have a
function comparable to the 'caption' function in Word. To create a list of
these tables, I have bookmarked the titles and use a cross-reference to make
a list of tables.

Since the formatting in the SAS-generated file is not very attractive, I
re-format the list of tables as I want it to appear. If I close the
document, some of the formatting is lost, specifically, any changes I made to
the bookmark text and tab sets.

I turned off the automatic update on closing and on printing, but that
doesn't seem to address the issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Hello George

George in Atlanta wrote:
I work with tables generated as a Word file by SAS, which does not have a
function comparable to the 'caption' function in Word. To create a list of
these tables, I have bookmarked the titles and use a cross-reference to make
a list of tables.

Since the formatting in the SAS-generated file is not very attractive, I
re-format the list of tables as I want it to appear. If I close the
document, some of the formatting is lost, specifically, any changes I made to
the bookmark text and tab sets.

I turned off the automatic update on closing and on printing, but that
doesn't seem to address the issue.

could you elaborate a bit? SAS creates one DOC file per table, or one
huge file?

How do you create the bookmarks? Any formatting you are doing to the
cross-references will be lost whenever you update the links. You could
in theory lock the cross-reference fields, but then they loose pretty
much what they're designed to do (update the page number when they should).

You could assign the bookmark style to the table titles and then create
a TOC from these styles.

HTH
Robert
--