Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dave Dave is offline

Default Revised pages need different footers -- how?

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and appreciate in advance any help you all can provide.

I am working on a manual that has multiple sections. Odd/Even footers are
different, and numbering restarts correctly at the beginning of each major
section.

Problem is I want to issue revisions to this manual consisting of individual
pages that have changed. I want the footer of these changed pages to have
the revision number and revision date on them. However, when I change an odd
footer on a single changed page within a section to show the new revision
number and date, all the odd footers in that section change. This is true
whether or not the footer is linked to previous.

Is this possible to do with Word?

Thanks for the help,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Dave,

Unless you insert Section breaks before & after the changes, you can't do what you ask.

In any event, you need to consider what happens when a change results in the addition/deletion of a page, causing all subsequent
page numbers to change. The idea of managing updates at the page level really is archaic and reflects an era when such changes meant
manually re-typing all affected pages. An alternative is to use Track-Changes to mark the additions in a different colour, deletions
hidden or struck out and all changes via marginal change bars. Then, as & when needed, you simply re-issue the complete chapter. You
then accept all the changes for that chapter and continue change tracking until the next release.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and appreciate in advance any help you all can provide.

I am working on a manual that has multiple sections. Odd/Even footers are
different, and numbering restarts correctly at the beginning of each major
section.

Problem is I want to issue revisions to this manual consisting of individual
pages that have changed. I want the footer of these changed pages to have
the revision number and revision date on them. However, when I change an odd
footer on a single changed page within a section to show the new revision
number and date, all the odd footers in that section change. This is true
whether or not the footer is linked to previous.

Is this possible to do with Word?

Thanks for the help,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:41:01 -0800, Dave
wrote:

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and appreciate in advance any help you all can provide.

I am working on a manual that has multiple sections. Odd/Even footers are
different, and numbering restarts correctly at the beginning of each major
section.

Problem is I want to issue revisions to this manual consisting of individual
pages that have changed. I want the footer of these changed pages to have
the revision number and revision date on them. However, when I change an odd
footer on a single changed page within a section to show the new revision
number and date, all the odd footers in that section change. This is true
whether or not the footer is linked to previous.

Is this possible to do with Word?

Thanks for the help,
Dave

It's barely possible, but not by using the footer. Insert a frame or
text box that's anchored in the body text on the changed page, and
drag it into the area of the footer.

Even better, convince your employer that the practice of revision
pages is obsolete and sometimes harmful. Read John McGhie's
introduction to the subject in
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.

--
Regards,