Problem with formatting merged fields

Default Mail Merge fields "Ken Washington"

I am using MS Word 2003. I am using mail merge.

I am trying to format a field with 2 decimal places and a "$" sign.

The MS instructions say to "On the Data tab or the General tab in the
Control Properties dialog box, click Format".

I am unable to find the Data tab, the General tab or the Control Properties
dialog and there are no instructions on how to.
Graham Mayor

Select the field inserted into the document, right click and toggle - you
should see something like
{mergefield fieldname} add the formatting switch after the fieldname e.g
{Mergefield fieldname \# ",$#.00" }
Click F9 to update then if necessary toggle the display back again.
See http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm for other examples
you may find http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm
useful also.

Problem with formatting merged fields wrote:
I am using MS Word 2003. I am using mail merge.

I am trying to format a field with 2 decimal places and a "$" sign.

The MS instructions say to "On the Data tab or the General tab in the
Control Properties dialog box, click Format".

I am unable to find the Data tab, the General tab or the Control
Properties dialog and there are no instructions on how to.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UHJvYmxlbSB3aXRoIGZvcm1hdHRpbmcgbWVyZ2VkIGZpZW xkcw==?=,

I am using MS Word 2003. I am using mail merge.

I am trying to format a field with 2 decimal places and a "$" sign.

The MS instructions say to "On the Data tab or the General tab in the
Control Properties dialog box, click Format".

I think this information is for something totally different; certainly
not for Word mail merge (sounds more like an Access form, actually).

For information on how to control formatting in Word, see the MailMerge
FAQ on my website. It tells you how to control from within Word
(changing field codes) or within Access (using a query).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org