Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gert Gert is offline

Default Old doc-files in Word 2007

Can I have both Word 2003 and Word 2007 installed on my computer at the same
time? I want to be able to read old .doc-files.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

You can but Word 2007 can read older files.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Gert" wrote in message
Can I have both Word 2003 and Word 2007 installed on my computer at the
same
time? I want to be able to read old .doc-files.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gert Gert is offline

No, I have tried. Files older than 1995 can I read in Word 2003 but not in
Word 2007. Do you know if there will it be any problems to install Word 2003?

"Gert" wrote in message
Can I have both Word 2003 and Word 2007 installed on my computer at the
same
time? I want to be able to read old .doc-files.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Gert,

What version of Word are the older files? There is a registry block for some older versions and for really old versions you may
need a converter installed. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849
==========
"Gert" wrote in message ...
No, I have tried. Files older than 1995 can I read in Word 2003 but not in Word 2007. Do you know if there will it be any problems
to install Word 2003?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gert Gert is offline

In a document (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849/...(I have it in
Swedish)) write MS: Word 2007 no longer support document saved in following
word-format: MS Word for Windows 1.x, 2.x, 4.x and 5.x.

Other old format can be blocked by a key FileOpenBlock but I have no such
key in my Registry (I am my own admin).

I can open my old .doc-files in Word 2003.

As I can understand of the description, the function of Compatibility Pack
is to open new format from Word 2007 in older version of Word. Opposite what
I want to do.

If it will be other possibility to read older versions of .doc-files in Word
2007 than to install MS Word 2003 or OpenOffice I will be happy.

"Gert" wrote in message ...
No, I have tried. Files older than 1995 can I read in Word 2003 but not in Word 2007. Do you know if there will it be any problems
to install Word 2003?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The FileOpenBlock key is not present by default, I believe. You have to
create it. This is not made clear in the KB article you reference. That was
also true of KBA 938810 until MVPs complained and got the article rewritten.
The latest version of http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938810 includes a
..reg key you can download to solve the problem in Word 2003. AFAIK, there is
no equivalent for Word 2007, so I guess you'll just have to do the tinkering
yourself.

"Gert" wrote in message
No, I have tried. Files older than 1995 can I read in Word 2003 but not
in Word 2007. Do you know if there will it be any problems
to install Word 2003?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gert Gert is offline

Thank you Suzanne, I succeed!
MS ought to be much more careful when they write instructions and chose the
right words. €œWord 2007 no longer supports documents that were saved in the
following Word formats: €œ means to me that is no more possibilities to read
the files and there is no words how to create necessary keys in the Registry.
Thank you

"Gert" wrote in message
No, I have tried. Files older than 1995 can I read in Word 2003 but not
in Word 2007. Do you know if there will it be any problems
to install Word 2003?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad you got it working. Now maybe we can get some work done on that KB
article!

"Gert" wrote in message
Thank you Suzanne, I succeed!
MS ought to be much more careful when they write instructions and chose
the
right words. "Word 2007 no longer supports documents that were saved in
the
following Word formats: " means to me that is no more possibilities to

"Gert" wrote in message
No, I have tried. Files older than 1995 can I read in Word 2003 but
not
in Word 2007. Do you know if there will it be any problems
to install Word 2003?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Gert,

Just curious, what file version were the older document files you were opening? Some of the ones listed in the article
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849) are in the 15-20 years old range

In the knowledge base article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849
note that for Word 2007 Method 1's workaround is to bypass the [need for] the FileBlock keys by creating a Trusted location in Word
2007.

===========
"Gert" wrote in message ...
Thank you Suzanne, I succeed!
MS ought to be much more careful when they write instructions and chose the
right words. "Word 2007 no longer supports documents that were saved in the
following Word formats: " means to me that is no more possibilities to read
the files and there is no words how to create necessary keys in the Registry.
Thank you
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's not unusual to have files that old. I have quite a few. But where I
really ran into grief (in Word 2003) is that my Rotary club uses software
(written in Australia and sold commercially for many years until Rotary
International bought it and made it available to clubs at no charge) that
exports files in Word 2.0 or 6.0 format (and there's no way I can change
this). Even the trusted location solution was not totally satisfactory for
me because there is one report that I export directly to the application
(that is, I click Export, and the report automatically opens in Word). Since
all I use it for is to select part of a list (the absentees from a given
meeting) and then close the window, I really don't want to have to go to the
trouble of creating a file and saving it in a trusted location, only to
delete it later. The Registry solution was much better for me.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"Gert" wrote in message
Thank you Suzanne, I succeed!
MS ought to be much more careful when they write instructions and chose
the
right words. "Word 2007 no longer supports documents that were saved in
the
following Word formats: " means to me that is no more possibilities to
read
the files and there is no words how to create necessary keys in the
Registry.
Thank you
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gert Gert is offline

Bob, I am sorry, but I am not sure that I have understood everything you
write but I try to answer as good as I can.

I do not know what file version the file had but it was created 1991. I
looked at property but could not find any version of Word. I do not remember
what version of Word I used in that time.

I have many files in many maps even files stored at CD and it is impossible
to make all this maps as Trusted locations or to move files into Trusted
locations.

Also I think it impossible to find all these old files, open them in Word
2003 and saved them again to get a newer version.

I have saved all this old files because I sometimes need to read them again
or use the contents in newer files.

It must be easy to look at a file €“ just click at it.

"Gert" wrote in message ...
Thank you Suzanne, I succeed!
MS ought to be much more careful when they write instructions and chose the
right words. "Word 2007 no longer supports documents that were saved in the
following Word formats: " means to me that is no more possibilities to read
the files and there is no words how to create necessary keys in the Registry.
Thank you
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
McTuron McTuron is offline

to open these old filetypes you need to create a trusted location

for Word 12 (office 2007) this is done in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Security\Trusted
Locations

you just create a new key with the name of the new (my example is
Location 3)

in there you need a REG_SZ with the Name Descriotin, the value is the
numer of the location (in my example a 3).

then you need a REG_EXPAND_SZ with the name Path, pointing to a path
from where you want to open the file. it has to be a subdirectory!
don't use c:\, that won't work

if you want to be able to open from all subdirectories as well, add

a REG_DWORD with the name AllowSubFolders and give it a value of 1.

below is an example from my registry, the path is C:\Daten

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Security
\Trusted Locations\Location3]
"Description"="3"
"Path"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,44,00,61,00,74,00, 65,00,6e,00,00,00
"AllowSubFolders"=dword:00000001

good luck
Wolfgang

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DMack10024 DMack10024 is offline

I'm sorry for my misposting. This is my first time on this site and
registrsation interfered with my effort. I have literally thousands of
documents in old formats that I need to access either for client histories or
to use as models for new documents. I work alone. I am my own administrator,
but I do not know how to sign on as administrator. All these instructions
that you gave are like gobbledy gook to me. For twenty years I have had no
problems moving from versions of Word and Works on the Mac to Word on the PC.
Now that I have "upgraded" to Office 2007, I find that I am cut off from my
history and cannot use it unless I hire a guru. Shame on Microsoft for making
this change without getting the user consent and without giving the user a
very easy way to work around it. I counted on backwards compatibility. Now I
see I must return to my Windows 2000 PC with Office 2000 if I want to
continue working as I did in the past. I see no other workaround.

"McTuron" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wes Davis Wes Davis is offline

" You can but Word 2007 can read older files."

I can red the filess, but I have another, related problem. How do I get
Office 2007 to show the proper icons for Office XP & Office 2003 documents?

This is a new Vista & Office 2007 install (after XP SP3 hosed the system). I
have many files in the XP(2002) / 2003 formats. What few files exist in older
formats (2000, Office 97) are probably not even important at this time.

What bothers me is that I get only a generic icon for each file in
(Windows/Vista) Explorer. Many files are in groups - same base name but
different types (word + excel or word + zip or word + set of images). I have
to "guess" which one is the office document. While this is true for Excel as
well, 95% of the files are MS Word.

How can I fix this? I know the installation was a custom & complete install
(put everything on the hard drive but not in the default C: drive). The
Office 2007 document icons, what few I have, are fine. This is VERY annoying
and VERY unproductive.

Wes

--
Sr. Software Developer