Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
marthamemphis marthamemphis is offline

Default I want to start Page '1' on the 3rd page. HOW???????? HELP?????

I have huge documents -over 100 pages with different footers throughout.
I 'finally' figured out how to change the footer (best way is to go from the
back of the document forward, but cannot get the document to work when I need
to start numbering the 3rd page of the document as Page 1.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You'll need a section break between pages 2 and 3, then just go to Format
Page Number and set it to Start at 1. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

"marthamemphis" wrote in message
I have huge documents -over 100 pages with different footers throughout.
I 'finally' figured out how to change the footer (best way is to go from

the
back of the document forward, but cannot get the document to work when I

need
to start numbering the 3rd page of the document as Page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
marthamemphis marthamemphis is offline

This does not work - I have tried it a zillion times! When you do a section
break - does it need to be "continuous"? If it is not continuous, it causes
an additional page break. If I have different footer on both page 2 and 3,
it gets even more complicated. Do I do my footers first? If I have no
footer on page 2, and a different footer on both 2 and 3, then I need page 3
to actually start numbering as page #1. I have tried everything.........I am
missing something! I think on page 2, I would put "different first page",
right? But, I can't put the same thing on the 2nd page. I have created a
dummy document and none of this is working.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'll need a section break between pages 2 and 3, then just go to Format
Page Number and set it to Start at 1. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

"marthamemphis" wrote in message
I have huge documents -over 100 pages with different footers throughout.
I 'finally' figured out how to change the footer (best way is to go from

the
back of the document forward, but cannot get the document to work when I

need
to start numbering the 3rd page of the document as Page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

With a "Next page" section break a the end of page 2, you would be
able to create different footers on pages 1, 2, and 3. Just unlink the
footer in the second section and, for the first section, enable the
"Different first page" option in File | Page Setup, Layout tab.

For more about headers and footers, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.

For more about sections, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

For more about page numbering, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'll need a section break between pages 2 and 3, then just go to

Format
Page Number and set it to Start at 1. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"marthamemphis" wrote in

message
I have huge documents -over 100 pages with different footers

throughout.
I 'finally' figured out how to change the footer (best way is to

go from
the
back of the document forward, but cannot get the document to

work when I
need
to start numbering the 3rd page of the document as Page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If a section break causes an extra page break, then it may be because you
already have a manual page break; if so, you need to delete that.

In order to set up "Different first page" and "Different odd and even"
headers and footers in a dummy document, you must (at least temporarily)
have at least three pages in each section you're working in, assuming you've
unlinked the sections. Be aware that unlinking applies only to like
headers/footers. For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm and the other articles
to which Stefan referred you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'll need a section break between pages 2 and 3, then just go to

Format
Page Number and set it to Start at 1. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"marthamemphis" wrote in

message
I have huge documents -over 100 pages with different footers

throughout.
I 'finally' figured out how to change the footer (best way is to go

from
the
back of the document forward, but cannot get the document to work when

need
to start numbering the 3rd page of the document as Page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
marthamemphis marthamemphis is offline

Once again tonight, I will try everything that has been suggested. But, I
have been trying these very things for several days now. There is something
missing. Can I ask you to do the following and see what you get: Do a dummy
10 page document naming them Title Page, Table of Contents, Advisory,
Properties, Real Estate, Security, telecommunications, call center, customer
service and flight operations.
1) no footer or page # on page 1 (title page)
2) Left footer "master document" throughout rest of 9 pages
3) Beginning with table of contents, put each of the next 9 titles on
individual page, i.e. Master Document
Table of Contents

Master Document
Advisory

Now it gets tricky........Begin number "advisory" as page # 1

First - would you suggest doing the page numbering first?
Or, do you divide it up into sections first?

I honest to goodness have tried everything so many times........

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'll need a section break between pages 2 and 3, then just go to

Format
Page Number and set it to Start at 1. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"marthamemphis" wrote in

message
I have huge documents -over 100 pages with different footers

throughout.
I 'finally' figured out how to change the footer (best way is to

go from
the
back of the document forward, but cannot get the document to

work when I
need
to start numbering the 3rd page of the document as Page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Tips--hit ¶ on the standard toolbar so that you can see the section breaks.
You might start with a fresh doc and copy and paste ONLY the text into this
new doc. Don't copy the paragraph marks (¶) at the end of each paragraph,
those can carry section formatting that you don't want.

I'm not going to create a dummy document, because I have made this work
previously, and it does work. Here's one way I might do it:

Type Title page--leave header/footer blank

Section break (next page)
Type Page 2/TOC
Unlink header/footer from previous--enter footer text but no page number

Section break (next page)
Type Page 3 and forward
Unlink header/footer from previous--enter footer text and page number. Click
on Format Page Number on header/footer toolbar to set page numbering at 1.

For the other sections (Advisory, Properties, etc), you should be fine
starting each one with a regular Page Break. A section break is only needed
if you want to change the footer text (and sometimes not even then).

Hope that helps,

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'll need a section break between pages 2 and 3, then just go to

Format
Page Number and set it to Start at 1. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"marthamemphis" wrote in

message
I have huge documents -over 100 pages with different footers

throughout.
I 'finally' figured out how to change the footer (best way is to

go from
the
back of the document forward, but cannot get the document to

work when I
need
to start numbering the 3rd page of the document as Page 1.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
marthamemphis marthamemphis is offline

Stefan - I cannot thank you enough! I still want to send Bill Gates an email
because page numbering combined with footers and sections should NOT be this
difficult!!!!! The 6 sentences you wrote in another post "save my job!" You
recommended going back to the first of the very long document I was working
on, inserting page, making sure continuous was checked, etc. Honest to
goodness, I have worked on this mess for weeks and had about 75 pages of
instructions from various sources. Your 6 sentences (along with a couple of
other suggestions) resolved all of my problems. If anybody needs to know how
to do continuous numbering with long documents and many sections and many
footers, let me know. I can make your life much easier with one-page
instructions instead of 75!!!!! Thanks Stefan!!!!!! I love you!!!!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'll need a section break between pages 2 and 3, then just go to

Format
Page Number and set it to Start at 1. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"marthamemphis" wrote in

message
I have huge documents -over 100 pages with different footers

throughout.
I 'finally' figured out how to change the footer (best way is to

go from
the
back of the document forward, but cannot get the document to

work when I
need
to start numbering the 3rd page of the document as Page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad I could help.

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know which that other post was? In
which newsgroup? What was the subject line?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'll need a section break between pages 2 and 3, then just

go to
Format
Page Number and set it to Start at 1. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"marthamemphis"

wrote in
message
I have huge documents -over 100 pages with different footers

throughout.
I 'finally' figured out how to change the footer (best way

is to
go from
the
back of the document forward, but cannot get the document to

work when I
need
to start numbering the 3rd page of the document as Page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
marthamemphis marthamemphis is offline

I would really have to do some digging to find it. In fact, I think I found
part of my answer in a response to somebody else. Do you want me to find
that one? Also, the one post about making a section page break after page 1
and a section page break after page 2, and then start the numbering on the
3rd page as actually page #1. It was the fact that all of the instructions
were so convoluted; Your answer in those 6 sentences is what made it finally
work. I can find all of this if you would like for me to. Just let me know.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

With a "Next page" section break a the end of page 2, you would be
able to create different footers on pages 1, 2, and 3. Just unlink

the
footer in the second section and, for the first section, enable

the
"Different first page" option in File | Page Setup, Layout tab.

For more about headers and footers, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.

For more about sections, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

For more about page numbering, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news This does not work - I have tried it a zillion times! When you

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, I have to admit that I'm curious about those six sentences which
clarified things for you. To find the message, you can search the
newsgroups at http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en-us. (But,
of course, you have to decide if you have the time to locate the old
thread.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP