Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KimB64 KimB64 is offline

Default Problems with numbering INSIDE OF paragraph text

I want to be able to number within a paragraph, using either numbers or
letters without a trailing period or any other type of separator. I found
information that doing this requires the use of the AutoNumLgl field and
using the /e switch to eliminate the period. However, whenever I do that,
the end result is something that looks like the following (the problem is
inside of the quotations - in other words, it gives me three periods/spaces
prior to the capital letter A, which is all I'm looking for in the automatic
numbering):

This section is titled ". . . A" Pricing Information.

What it should look like is:
This section is titled A: Pricing Information.
(Understand that I could/would manually type in the colon.)

In other words, what I'm trying to automatically number is the "A:" part of
the sentence. I can get text that says "A." but when I do the "/e" switch to
eliminate the trailing period, what I get is " . . . A" instead of "A"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Or if this is a multilevel/outline-numbered list, you can use a LISTNUM
field.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Would it work to use a SEQ field instead?

so
all may benefit.

"KimB64" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KimB64 KimB64 is offline

I'm not sure because I don't know about the SEQ field.

What I'm trying to do is the following - where the words "text" are just the
random text I would have with the A: Summary and B: Overview interspersed
within the text and the numbering being automatic:

Text text text text A: Summary text text text text B: Overview text text.

I hope that clarifies a little better.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Would it work to use a SEQ field instead?

"KimB64" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KimB64 KimB64 is offline

I don't think that would work because I need text to precede the
numbering/title and text to follow - in paragraph format. (See my previous
reply to Suzanne)

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Or if this is a multilevel/outline-numbered list, you can use a LISTNUM
field.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Would it work to use a SEQ field instead?

so
all may benefit.

"KimB64" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have you tried looking in the Help file for the topic on SEQ fields?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Would it work to use a SEQ field instead?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"KimB64" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If all numbering belongs to one and the same outline-numbered list, a
LISTNUM field (without a list name) should work. For example:

1 Heading 1
Some text here
1.1 Heading 2
Ordinary text. { LISTNUM \l 3 }

would display as:

1 Heading 1
Some text here
1.1 Heading 2
Ordinary text. 1.1.1

You can insert the field and specify its level via Insert | Field (Word
2003) or Insert tab | Quick Parts | Field (Word 2007).

To change the level of an existing field, you can right-click it and choose
Increase Indent (or Decrease Indent) from the context menu.

To show/hide field codes, use Alt+F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Or if this is a multilevel/outline-numbered list, you can use a LISTNUM
field.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Would it work to use a SEQ field instead?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

news I want to be able to number within a paragraph, using either numbers