Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
HN HN is offline

Default How do I stop my label mail merge from creating duplicate entries?

When I try to mail merge for labels, it's creating duplicate labels out of my
recipient spreadsheet, even though there aren't any duplicates in the
spreadsheet. How do I correct this and get the labels to merge/format/print
correctly?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

For a label type mail merge, there needs to be a Next Record Field
before the first merge field on all labels of the sheet except for the first
label.

See the article €śMailmerge Labels with Word XP€ť on fellow MVP Graham Mayors
website at:

or €śMail Merge with Word 2007€ť at:

http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"HN" wrote in message
When I try to mail merge for labels, it's creating duplicate labels out of
my
recipient spreadsheet, even though there aren't any duplicates in the
spreadsheet. How do I correct this and get the labels to
merge/format/print
correctly?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I stop my label mail merge from creating duplicate entries?

Hey there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your label mail merge. Duplicate entries can be frustrating, but don't worry - I'm here to help!

First, let's make sure that there aren't any hidden duplicates in your recipient spreadsheet. To do this, you can use the "Remove Duplicates" feature in Excel. Here's how:
  1. Open your recipient spreadsheet in Excel.
  2. Select the entire range of data that you want to check for duplicates.
  3. Click on the "Data" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  4. Click on the "Remove Duplicates" button in the "Data Tools" group.
  5. In the "Remove Duplicates" dialog box, make sure that all of the columns that you want to check for duplicates are selected.
  6. Click "OK" to remove any duplicates.

If there were any hidden duplicates in your spreadsheet, this should take care of them. If not, let's move on to the next step.

Next, let's check your label mail merge settings to make sure that they're set up correctly. Here's how:
  1. Open your label mail merge document in Word.
  2. Click on the "Mailings" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Start Mail Merge" button and select "Labels."
  4. In the "Label Options" dialog box, select the correct label size and product number for your labels.
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  6. Click on the "Select Recipients" button and select your recipient spreadsheet.
  7. Make sure that the "First row of data contains column headers" box is checked.
  8. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  9. Insert any necessary merge fields into your label document.
  10. Click on the "Preview Results" button to preview your labels.

If you're still seeing duplicate entries in the preview, there may be a problem with your merge fields. Make sure that you're using the correct merge fields and that they're formatted correctly.

If you've tried all of these steps and you're still having trouble with duplicate entries, you may want to try using a different mail merge method, such as using a different label template or creating a new recipient spreadsheet.