Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thesis Nerd Thesis Nerd is offline

Default Converting endnotes to text

Hi. I have a manuscript ready for publication but now have been told that I
can't use the footnote or endnote function of Word and have to enter them as
regular text. Is there an automatic way of this being done? Otherwise I will
have to cut and paste the endnotes, then delete the original reference to
them and then add the reference number as a normal number and then
superscript each number - this seems like a major pain when there are
literally hundreds to do. If anyone could help that would be great.
Cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can use the following macro:

Sub ConvertEndnotesToText()
'Macro created 29/09/99 by Doug Robbins to
'replace endnotes with textnotes
'at end of document
' to replace the endnote reference in the body of
'the document with a superscript number.

Dim aendnote As Endnote

For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes

ActiveDocument.Range.InsertAfter vbCr & aendnote.Index _
& vbTab & aendnote.Range

aendnote.Reference.InsertBefore "a" & aendnote.Index & "a"

Next aendnote

For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes

aendnote.Reference.Delete

Next aendnote

Selection.Find.ClearFormatting

Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting

With Selection.Find.Replacement.Font

.Superscript = True

End With

With Selection.Find

.Text = "(a)([0-9]{1,})(a)"

.Replacement.Text = "\2"

.Forward = True

.Wrap = wdFindContinue

.Format = True

.MatchWildcards = True

End With

Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

End Sub

For assistance, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Thesis Nerd" wrote:

Hi. I have a manuscript ready for publication but now have been told that I
can't use the footnote or endnote function of Word and have to enter them as
regular text. Is there an automatic way of this being done? Otherwise I will
have to cut and paste the endnotes, then delete the original reference to
them and then add the reference number as a normal number and then
superscript each number - this seems like a major pain when there are
literally hundreds to do. If anyone could help that would be great.
Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
michael7777 michael7777 is offline

Stefan,

Thanks for this macro! Running it does change the citations to plain
superscript, however, it also deletes my reference list... is this supposed
to happen? Is there a way to preserve the list, or should I just copy it
before and then paste it back in? (I'll lose the numbering but I guess I
could format it as a numbered list).

Thanks,

Michael