Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ELeigh ELeigh is offline

Default HELP! What am I doing wrong formula in Word table?

I am creating a performance review form in Word with three seperate tables.
In the last column of each table, a reviewer will enter in a number rating
1-5. I need one formula at the very top that calculates the average of all of
the numbers from all of the tables.

-A bookmark formula doesn't work because the reviewer will be changing the
numbers each time which seems to remove the bookmark.
-I used the cell location macro but was given the same cell name for the
cells in three different tables.
-I tried merging all tables into one table so that I could have different
cell names. When I did this and created the average formula
(=average(b3:b45), the result was 0.0 even when I entered numbers in the
fields.

What am I missing? (I am not macro savvy at all so if I need to be using a
macro please explain all that is involved.) THANKS!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"ELeigh" wrote:

I am creating a performance review form in Word with three seperate tables.
In the last column of each table, a reviewer will enter in a number rating
1-5. I need one formula at the very top that calculates the average of all of
the numbers from all of the tables.

-A bookmark formula doesn't work because the reviewer will be changing the
numbers each time which seems to remove the bookmark.
-I used the cell location macro but was given the same cell name for the
cells in three different tables.
-I tried merging all tables into one table so that I could have different
cell names. When I did this and created the average formula
(=average(b3:b45), the result was 0.0 even when I entered numbers in the
fields.

What am I missing? (I am not macro savvy at all so if I need to be using a
macro please explain all that is involved.) THANKS!!

Is the formula in the *same* table as the values you want to average?
Make sure you have { =average(b3:b45) }.
Are all values in the B column numerical?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ELeigh ELeigh is offline

The average formula is in a different table. Does it need to be in the same
one? How do I make the values in column B numerical? I was trying to find a
number formatting option similar to Excel but had no luck. Thanks!

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"ELeigh" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ELeigh ELeigh is offline

It seems that I have gotten this to work by including the formula in the same
table. Of course this creates another question-when there are changes made in
the columns, hitting F9 isn't updating the formula. I have to right click on
the formula and select Edit Field. Why won't F9 work? Thanks!

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"ELeigh" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi ELeigh,

To see how to do this and a wide range of other calculations in Word, check out my Word Field Maths 'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442
or
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party
In particular, look at the items titled 'Reference Table Cells From Outside The Table', 'Referencing An Entire Row Or Column' and
'Updating And Recalculating Fields'.

Cheers
--
macropod