jam

Default macro security will not stay set

after upgrading to office 2003, some of my originally created files upon
opening will prompt for disable/enable macros. even though i click "enable"
and then go and set macro security to "low" and then save the document, word
will not save the macro security level. It is not all word files, just some.
my macros are saved in the normal.dot. i have removed my normal.dot and let
word build a new one, but the same problem still exist! i have copied/pasted
entire doc's into a new file and the problem goes away, but i do not want to
have to do that to all of my files that have this problem!!
Graham Mayor

It is not a good idea to set macro security to low as this will allow any
macros contained in documents to run - and with documents that you are
unsure of their pedigree, this could open the window to running malicious
code on your PC with catastrophic results. The preferred setting is Medium
which will prompt you to the presence of macros in documents - and if you
set the security to trust installed templates and add-ins you will not get
the prompt for the macros in those templates and add-ins.

The failure to retain your preference may be attributable to a minor
corruption in the Word data key in the registry - backup the key and then
delete it. You will have to resest some of your preferences (or replace the
backup key if it does not fix the problem)
See http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm which identifies the
key.