Grey shaded boxes that can't be destroyed

Old August 30th 19, 10:11 AM
DrJohnN DrJohnN is offline

Default Grey shaded boxes that can't be destroyed

I am a chemistry teacher, I have inherited a pro-forma in word for a practical class that I am taking over next term. I am using word 2016.

They are not shading. I think they are some sort of 'text form field' however they are not the same as those that I can add in myself. I can delete the text in the middle, but the square brackets cannot be removed, the delete key has no power here. I also tried cut/paste (text only) however this is not working.

In the table I created a new column, typed in my data and when i deleted the grey shaded column the grey shading moved to the column I had made. IT CAN'T BE STOPPED. Or can it? I hope so, I don't want to retype the whole document.

My questions a
What is it?
How do I get rid of it?
Can anyone learn this power (how do I make it)?

Screenshot attached. Any help would be appreciated! I am getting a serious case of word rage here.
Attached Images