How do I create a numbered list of bookmarks

Old September 18th 09, 06:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeri

Default How do I create a numbered list of bookmarks

In tables of referenced documents, I used to have a numbered list in the
first column. I could select the number and use Insert Bookmark to create a
bookmark for the reference. I could then cross-reference the bookmark later
in the text. The cross-reference text that appeared was the number. If I
then inserted new references, I could renumber all reference numbers in the
list by selecting the table column and using F9.

I just started a new job and don't have a table to cut and paste from and
don't remember how I initially set this up. Can you point me towards some
instructions?
Old September 18th 09, 09:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Which version of Word?

The steps you list seem to be exactly how to do it -- what are you
missing?

Old September 18th 09, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeri

If you just create a numbered list (FormatBullets and Numbering), you can't
select the number itself as the bookmark text. I found out that it would
work if I used InsertField, set the Category to 'Numbering' and the select
'ListNum' from the Field Names. This will insert a number in the table cell
that you can, then, highlight and select InsertBookmark. Then when you
cross reference that bookmark later on, the number will be displayed as the
bookmark text. The numbers will automatically resort if new table entries
are inserted or if existing entries are deleted. I figured it out using
brute force. I would think that it would be a fairly common thing to do -
for which a help topic would exist. (I'm using Word 2003.)

Old September 18th 09, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Numbered items are already automatically bookmarked by Word. You need only
use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference and insert the "Paragraph number"
of the numbered item.

http://word.mvps.org

news

Old July 15th 19, 05:31 PM
lyss lyss is offline

Hello -I'm trying to do something similar but my numbered points are in a table and don't show up as paragraphs to select. Is there any way of selecting that column of numbers 1 to 100 and automatically create 100 bookmarks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
Numbered items are already automatically bookmarked by Word. You need only
use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference and insert the "Paragraph number"
of the numbered item.

http://word.mvps.org

news

Old September 1st 19, 12:52 AM
DeborahHarper DeborahHarper is offline
Banned

Originally Posted by jeri View Post
In tables of referenced documents, I used to have a numbered list in the
first column. I could select the number and use Insert Bookmark to create a
bookmark for the reference. I could then cross-reference the bookmark later
in the text. The cross-reference text that appeared was the number. If I
then inserted new references, I could renumber all reference numbers in the
list by selecting the table column and using F9.

I just started a new job and don't have a table to cut and paste from and
don't remember how I initially set this up. Can you point me towards some
instructions?
It's easy. On top you can choose the function of numbered.