UserRAW1975

Default Text Recovery and Open & Repair in WD 2003?

I am running XP Professional and using Office 2003.
I was working with a fairly large Word document (2799 KB). I then moved it
from my hard drive (where I was working with it) to my ZIP 100 disk by
clicking and dragging it over. Additionally, I deleted the old folders that
all the different components of this document were contained in. Before I
deleted them, however, I had combined all of the different document
components into one (1) Word document. Everything was working fine until I
tried to re-open the 2799 KB file and this error message came up:

Word experienced an error trying to open the file.
Try these suggestions:
*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
*Make sure there is sufficient memory and disk space.
*Open the file with the Text Recovery converter

I checked the first two suggestions and found no restrictions on the file or
drive (I hadn't placed any on them in the first placed), and the memory was
just fine.
I didn't kmow much about Text Recovery so I clicked "Show Help" on the
error message box I was shown this list of explanations:

"This error message can appear for several reasons.
The document may be corrupt or damaged. Use either the Recover Text
converter or the Open and Repair feature. Both are available from the Open
dialog. The Recover Text converter is in the Files of type: drop down and the
Open and Repair feature is available from the Open button (select the down
arrow and not the button itself).
File permissions may be set so you cannot access the file (read denied). It
is even possible you do not have permissions to open anything within the
drive or folder the file is saved to. In this case, contact the owner of the
drive or folder and request permissions to access the file.
It is possible you have run out of system resources (disk space or RAM) or
another program on your system has consumed all the available memory. It is
even possible for a program to have a memory leak that is using up large
quantities of memory. The best method to recover memory consumed by a memory
leak is to restart the computer. It may be possible to shut down the
offending program by using the Task Manager, but it is not recommended since
it may further destabilize the system.
There may be a read lock on the file you are attempting to open. Another
user may have the file open, or even another application that has a link to
the file has placed an exclusive lock on the file and is not allowing Word to
open the file. If a custom application has opened the file, it may have
opened the file using an incorrect method."

I would like to know how to access either the RECOVER TEXT converter or the
OPEN/REPAIR FEATURE because I cannot find them at all€”even with the
instructions given that I related above. Please help me€”the file in question
is EXTREMELY important. Thank you.
Robert Wheeler

Chuck Davis

I am running XP Professional and using Office 2003.
I was working with a fairly large Word document (2799 KB).

I then moved it=20
from my hard drive (where I was working with it) to my ZIP

100 disk by=20
clicking and dragging it over. Additionally, I deleted

the old folders that=20
all the different components of this document were

contained in. Before I=20
deleted them, however, I had combined all of the different

document=20
components into one (1) Word document. Everything was

working fine until I=20
tried to re-open the 2799 KB file and this error message

came up:

Word experienced an error trying to open the file.
Try these suggestions:
*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
*Make sure there is sufficient memory and disk space.
*Open the file with the Text Recovery converter

I checked the first two suggestions and found no

restrictions on the file or=20
drive (I hadn't placed any on them in the first placed),

and the memory was=20
just fine.
I didn't kmow much about Text Recovery so I clicked "Show

Help" on the=20
error message box I was shown this list of explanations:

"This error message can appear for several reasons.
The document may be corrupt or damaged. Use either the

Recover Text=20
converter or the Open and Repair feature. Both are

available from the Open=20
dialog. The Recover Text converter is in the Files of

type: drop down and the=20
Open and Repair feature is available from the Open button

(select the down=20
arrow and not the button itself).
File permissions may be set so you cannot access the file

(read denied). It=20
is even possible you do not have permissions to open

anything within the=20
drive or folder the file is saved to. In this case,

contact the owner of the=20
drive or folder and request permissions to access the file.
It is possible you have run out of system resources (disk

space or RAM) or=20
another program on your system has consumed all the

available memory. It is=20
even possible for a program to have a memory leak that is

using up large=20
quantities of memory. The best method to recover memory

consumed by a memory=20
leak is to restart the computer. It may be possible to

shut down the=20
offending program by using the Task Manager, but it is not

recommended since=20
it may further destabilize the system.
There may be a read lock on the file you are attempting to

open. Another=20
user may have the file open, or even another application

that has a link to=20
the file has placed an exclusive lock on the file and is

not allowing Word to=20
open the file. If a custom application has opened the

file, it may have=20
opened the file using an incorrect method."

I would like to know how to access either the RECOVER TEXT

converter or the=20
OPEN/REPAIR FEATURE because I cannot find them at

all=E2?"even with the=20
instructions given that I related above. Please help

me=E2?"the file in question=20
is EXTREMELY important. Thank you.
Robert Wheeler

.

Robert,

Try moving the file back to your hard drive and then open it.