Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How do I insert a page or page break after Page 1?

I often create documents by using a screen capture application to capture a portion of the screen and then paste the capture into a Word document. I paste them with the "In Front Of Text" option so that I can move them around and position them freely.

It's fairly common for me to fill one page with the "pictures" and then need to add more to page 2, page 3, etc. However, since there is often no text in the document, the cursor is still at the first character position of page 1. What I can't figure out how to do is add a page -after- page one. If I use Insert Page Break or Insert Blank Page, the new page appears above the first and all of my Page 1 pictures are now on Page 2.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, so I came here to ask the experts for advice. In essence, I need to know how to add pages to the end of a document even if the document contains no text.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you press Ctrl+End to go to the very end of the document before you add a
page break (Ctrl+Enter), you should get a new page after the content on the
current page.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Thank you very much. Like I thought, it's very simple once you know the answer. ;-)

It's interesting that the cursor doesn't move from the first character position of the then-current last page, yet the insert happens after the then-current last page. Obviously the "end" of the document is beyond the physical location of the cursor.

Thanks again.

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:32:21 PM UTC-5, Stefan Blom wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, Word recognizes that you want to add something "after the anchor" if
you press Ctrl+End.

Of course, Ctrl+End can't be used if you want to insert a page break at the
end of (say) page 3 in a 10 page document. In this example, you can click at
the top of page 4 and use the arrow keys to go to the end of page 3; then
press Ctrl+Enter.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:15:05 PM UTC-5, Stefan Blom wrote:

Thanks again.

I tried the arrow technique and while it worked as you described, I am curious by what I saw. Please explain what Word is doing...

I opened a new Word 2010 document. With the cursor on Page 1, Position 1, I pressed Ctrl-End, Ctrl-Enter to insert a new page. I then used the back arrow as suggested and the cursor landed at a spot 2" beyond Page 1, Position 1.

So here's my question...I hope this makes sense.

The cursor did not move when I pressed Ctrl-End and then moved to Page 2 Position 1 when I hit Ctrl-Enter. I assume that means that Ctrl-Enter "added" something to Page 1 which causes the cursor to land beyond the original end of the document when the back arrow is used.

Further, if the cursor is at Page 2 Position 1 after Ctrl-Enter, pressing backspace once does nothing visible, while pressing backspace twice deletes Page 2. However, as I mentioned, pressing the back arrow moves the cursor to the 2" spot on Page 1. Pressing backspace at that point deletes Page 2.

So what is happening in that 2" space on Page 1 that the back arrow key recognizes it but the backspace key (sort of) doesn't?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Turn on "Show Non-Printing Characters" (Ctrl-Shift-8) to see what's
in the "blank" space; also, switch to "Draft View" to see the Section
Breaks clearly presented.

On Friday, November 8, 2013 11:38:07 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Got it.

...............Page Break...........(paragraph symbol)

Takes up about 2 inches at end of page.

Thanks!

On Friday, November 8, 2013 12:39:50 PM UTC-5, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Indeed, seemingly blank pages may not be blank. :-)

For more information, you may be interested in the article at
http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/BlankPage.htm.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Thanks for the link.

I've got just about all of Excel quirks figured out, even on the VBA side, but Word and PowerPoint seem to have minds of their own.

Need proof?

"..and you have either "Mirror margins" or "Different odd and even" (headers and footers) enabled (or possibly even if you don't), Word will assume that you are intending to duplex the document..."

What gives Word the right to assume anything about what the user intends to do? ;-)

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 1:32:35 PM UTC-5, Stefan Blom wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I guess it's time you learned about Word's quirks, then. :-)

I suspect that word processors in general make more assumptions than page
layout software (page layout software gives you a lot more control over the
individual pages).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DerbyDad03" skrev i meddelandet
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] scott.parker.943@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:32:21 PM UTC, Stefan Blom wrote:
[...]

Thanks this helped alot!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nhbonnie@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 1:32:21 PM UTC-5, Stefan Blom wrote:
[...]

Thank you! I had the same question.