Tom Brown

Default Fields?

Hi,

Forgive me if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup.

I need to have a method (Template maybe?) that I can insert fields into. I
would email this document to others and ask them to fill in the required
fields. I hope they could just create a document from the template and when
it opens, it will show gray boxes that allows them to enter the data (name,
address, etc). I know I have seen this somewhere before but I can't seem to
get it going.

Any suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

TIA,

Tom

Charles Kenyon

What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." Check this
in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Tom Brown" wrote in message
Hi,

Forgive me if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup.

I need to have a method (Template maybe?) that I can insert fields into. I
would email this document to others and ask them to fill in the required
fields. I hope they could just create a document from the template and
when
it opens, it will show gray boxes that allows them to enter the data
(name,
address, etc). I know I have seen this somewhere before but I can't seem
get it going.

Any suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

TIA,

Tom

Tom Brown

Charles,

Thanks for the help. This looks like just the ticket .... almost. Although
I have not delved too deeply into it yet, it looks like what I need. But, I
have gotten stuck almost at the beginning. I downloaded a zipfile with the
sample form from http://www.mousetrax.com/pub/FormsFive.zip and I have some
problem with it.

I can enter data (first name, last name, etc) in the fields but when I click
on the Update New command button, it just focuses on it and shows me the
eight black squares that allows me to resize the button. In other words, it
looks like it is in the Edit/Design mode and I am not able to get it to
function (write my data to the Access table) correctly. While it is open in
Word, I have checked and the document is Protected.

Again, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Tom Brown" wrote in message
Hi,

Forgive me if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup.

I need to have a method (Template maybe?) that I can insert fields into.
would email this document to others and ask them to fill in the required
fields. I hope they could just create a document from the template and
when
it opens, it will show gray boxes that allows them to enter the data
(name,
address, etc). I know I have seen this somewhere before but I can't seem
get it going.

Any suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

TIA,

Tom

Tom Brown

Charles,

I don't even know how to "mess about" with Design Mode or Controls Toolbox!

It looks like I am in it but I don't know how since all I did was open the
Word document. I just downloaded that sample from Dian Chapman and unzipped
it into the specified directory. It included a Word document and also a
small Access database including one table to store the data entered into the
form.

All the things I described were there when I opened the Word Document. I
was able to enter data into the fields, but then when I click on the "Update
New" command button, instead of writing the data to the database, it just
focused on the button with the resizing buttons showing. Unfortunately,
I've been messing with it all day, I'm running out of time, and I'm still
stuck.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Tom

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in