Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MJ Schaer MJ Schaer is offline

Default Going to last place saved

New to Word2007. Can anyone tell me how to have the document open to the
last place I saved the document? In WordPerfect, all you do is check off a
box and a Quickmark will be inserted at that point. Then you can opt to have
all documents open to a Quickmark. Is there such a feature in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

MJ Schaer wrote:
New to Word2007. Can anyone tell me how to have the document open to
the last place I saved the document? In WordPerfect, all you do is
check off a box and a Quickmark will be inserted at that point. Then
you can opt to have all documents open to a Quickmark. Is there such
a feature in Word?

There used to be, in versions before Word 2007 -- you could press Shift+F5,
the GoBack command, even after closing and reopening the document.

This is broken in Word 2007, because (probably due to an oversight) the
built-in bookmark \PrevSel1 is not saved in the document file. The GoBack
command works only until you close the file, then it's gone. I've posted a
bug report to Microsoft.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MJ Schaer MJ Schaer is offline

Thanks! I thought I remembered it in older versions. What a pain. I have to
mark down each page I'm on before I use the Replace or Find feature. Bummer!
Hope they fix it pronto.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
MJ Schaer wrote:
New to Word2007. Can anyone tell me how to have the document open to
the last place I saved the document? In WordPerfect, all you do is
check off a box and a Quickmark will be inserted at that point. Then
you can opt to have all documents open to a Quickmark. Is there such
a feature in Word?

There used to be, in versions before Word 2007 -- you could press
Shift+F5, the GoBack command, even after closing and reopening the
document.

This is broken in Word 2007, because (probably due to an oversight) the
built-in bookmark \PrevSel1 is not saved in the document file. The GoBack
command works only until you close the file, then it's gone. I've posted a
bug report to Microsoft.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Until Microsoft fixes this problem, you can copy the following macros into
your normal template (normal.dot (2003 and earlier); normal.dotm (2007) --
they don't work in the same way that SHIFT+F5 works in previous versions of
Word; they will place the insertion point at the same location it was
positioned when you last closed the document.

The first inserts a bookmark at the position of the insertion point (not at
the position of the last edit) every time you both issue the command to close
a document *and* confirm in the resultant message box that you want to save
the document. If you don't save the document when closing it the bookmark
will not be inserted or if it was inserted previously it will remain in the
previous location.

Trap: Saving the document, then closing it and saying you do not want to
save the document when prompted will not insert the bookmark or reposition it.

You must *not* change either macro name -- AutoClose and AutoOpen. They are
reserved for macros that automatically execute when you close any Word
document and open any Word document, respectively.

Macro #1
Sub AutoClose()
'To insert this bookmark each time, confirm that you want to save the
document 'when closing it

With ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Name:="lastinsertionpointposition"
.DefaultSorting = wdSortByName
.ShowHidden = True
End With
End Sub

Macro #2:
Sub AutoOpen()
' goes to the bookmark set via the AutoClose macro if it exists, otherwise
moves ' ' to the beginning of the document

If ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Exists("lastinsertionpoin tposition") = True Then
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="lastinsertionpointposition"
End If
End Sub

To learn how to copy macros, read the following:

"MJ Schaer" wrote:

New to Word2007. Can anyone tell me how to have the document open to the
last place I saved the document? In WordPerfect, all you do is check off a
box and a Quickmark will be inserted at that point. Then you can opt to have
all documents open to a Quickmark. Is there such a feature in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Just to clarify one point: GoBack (Shift+F5) does still work in Word 2007,
as long as the document stays open. It's only in the close-and-reopen
situation that it fails.

MJ Schaer wrote:
New to Word2007. Can anyone tell me how to have the document open to
the last place I saved the document? In WordPerfect, all you do is
check off a box and a Quickmark will be inserted at that point. Then
you can opt to have all documents open to a Quickmark. Is there such
a feature in Word?

There used to be, in versions before Word 2007 -- you could press
Shift+F5, the GoBack command, even after closing and reopening the
document.

This is broken in Word 2007, because (probably due to an oversight)
the built-in bookmark \PrevSel1 is not saved in the document file.
The GoBack command works only until you close the file, then it's
gone. I've posted a bug report to Microsoft.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.