Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Potsdamerplatz

Default Why can't I copy and paste text from the internet to MS Word?

Today I installed my new Microsoft Office Student & Teacher edition. I have
used this program before at work and at the local library, and have had no
problems in the past copying text from the internet and pasting it into a
word document (usually just BBC News reports - text only, no photographs)

But the version I have installed on my home computer won't let me do this.
Whenever I copy text from the internet onto the clipboard and attempt to
paste it into Word, the whole program freezes. I can't even close Word down
without opening up Windows Task Manager ans closing it that way.

It's extremely frustrating and I feel my copy of MS Office is not good value
for money. The program is 100% genuine as it registered and activated ok so
it's not a copy.

Can anyone please help or else maybe you are having a similar problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lassie

Sorry can't help you but will be watching this thread as I've had the exact
same problem with this version of Office. Pastes fine on my desktop PC but
no matter how many times I reinstall it on my Notebook it still freezes when
I try to paste any text from the internet. Hope someone comes along with a
solution :-)

Have you tried adding links to Excel and then trying to access the page
through them? This is a problem for me - not sure if it's connected with the
other problem?!?

"Potsdamerplatz" wrote:

Today I installed my new Microsoft Office Student & Teacher edition. I have
used this program before at work and at the local library, and have had no
problems in the past copying text from the internet and pasting it into a
word document (usually just BBC News reports - text only, no photographs)

But the version I have installed on my home computer won't let me do this.
Whenever I copy text from the internet onto the clipboard and attempt to
paste it into Word, the whole program freezes. I can't even close Word down
without opening up Windows Task Manager ans closing it that way.

It's extremely frustrating and I feel my copy of MS Office is not good value
for money. The program is 100% genuine as it registered and activated ok so
it's not a copy.

Can anyone please help or else maybe you are having a similar problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

When pasting, try clicking on Edit | Paste Special | Paste: As:
Unformatted text | OK.

Potsdamerplatz wrote:

Today I installed my new Microsoft Office Student & Teacher edition. I have
used this program before at work and at the local library, and have had no
problems in the past copying text from the internet and pasting it into a
word document (usually just BBC News reports - text only, no photographs)

But the version I have installed on my home computer won't let me do this.
Whenever I copy text from the internet onto the clipboard and attempt to
paste it into Word, the whole program freezes. I can't even close Word down
without opening up Windows Task Manager ans closing it that way.

It's extremely frustrating and I feel my copy of MS Office is not good value
for money. The program is 100% genuine as it registered and activated ok so
it's not a copy.

Can anyone please help or else maybe you are having a similar problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lassie

I tried this and did get a little further - I succeeded in pasting the text
into Word but then once I tried to do anything else to the document it froze
and had to end task in Task Manager again :-( Any other ideas???

Potsdamerplatz wrote:

Today I installed my new Microsoft Office Student & Teacher edition. I have
used this program before at work and at the local library, and have had no
problems in the past copying text from the internet and pasting it into a
word document (usually just BBC News reports - text only, no photographs)

But the version I have installed on my home computer won't let me do this.
Whenever I copy text from the internet onto the clipboard and attempt to
paste it into Word, the whole program freezes. I can't even close Word down
without opening up Windows Task Manager ans closing it that way.

It's extremely frustrating and I feel my copy of MS Office is not good value
for money. The program is 100% genuine as it registered and activated ok so
it's not a copy.

Can anyone please help or else maybe you are having a similar problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Did you paste into a new Word document or into an existing Word
document? Can you post a link to the web page you're trying to
copy from, and tell me what part of the web page you're copying?

Lassie wrote:

I tried this and did get a little further - I succeeded in pasting the text
into Word but then once I tried to do anything else to the document it froze
and had to end task in Task Manager again :-( Any other ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

You might also try the suggestion at
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4dc5d42adf2ff4
.. I don't really recommend doing this except as a
troubleshooting measure... if this fixes the problem, then try
running 'Detect and Repair' on your Office software.

Potsdamerplatz wrote:

Today I installed my new Microsoft Office Student & Teacher edition. I have
used this program before at work and at the local library, and have had no
problems in the past copying text from the internet and pasting it into a
word document (usually just BBC News reports - text only, no photographs)

But the version I have installed on my home computer won't let me do this.
Whenever I copy text from the internet onto the clipboard and attempt to
paste it into Word, the whole program freezes. I can't even close Word down
without opening up Windows Task Manager ans closing it that way.

It's extremely frustrating and I feel my copy of MS Office is not good value
for money. The program is 100% genuine as it registered and activated ok so
it's not a copy.

Can anyone please help or else maybe you are having a similar problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Potsdamerplatz

Hi,

The text I am trying to copy is from BBC News. It's strange because normal
text (ie. Times New Roman or Arial) seems to copy Ok but anything else and
the whole program freezes immediately.

David

Potsdamerplatz wrote:

Today I installed my new Microsoft Office Student & Teacher edition. I have
used this program before at work and at the local library, and have had no
problems in the past copying text from the internet and pasting it into a
word document (usually just BBC News reports - text only, no photographs)

But the version I have installed on my home computer won't let me do this.
Whenever I copy text from the internet onto the clipboard and attempt to
paste it into Word, the whole program freezes. I can't even close Word down
without opening up Windows Task Manager ans closing it that way.

It's extremely frustrating and I feel my copy of MS Office is not good value
for money. The program is 100% genuine as it registered and activated ok so
it's not a copy.

Can anyone please help or else maybe you are having a similar problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lassie

Thanks for the help. Have managed to reinstall Office and now successfully
pasting using the paste special unformatted text function. Am fairly new to
all this so it will take me some time and browsing these discussions before I
manage to create a shortcut for this but am just glad I now have some way of
pasting - makes life a whole lot easier. Thank you again :-)))

Potsdamerplatz wrote:

Today I installed my new Microsoft Office Student & Teacher edition. I have
used this program before at work and at the local library, and have had no
problems in the past copying text from the internet and pasting it into a
word document (usually just BBC News reports - text only, no photographs)

But the version I have installed on my home computer won't let me do this.
Whenever I copy text from the internet onto the clipboard and attempt to
paste it into Word, the whole program freezes. I can't even close Word down
without opening up Windows Task Manager ans closing it that way.

It's extremely frustrating and I feel my copy of MS Office is not good value
for money. The program is 100% genuine as it registered and activated ok so
it's not a copy.

Can anyone please help or else maybe you are having a similar problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Potsdamerplatz

Thanks.

I've tried your suggestion and everything is working brilliant now.

Thanks for helping me out. It is very much appreciated.

Dave

Potsdamerplatz wrote:

Today I installed my new Microsoft Office Student & Teacher edition. I have
used this program before at work and at the local library, and have had no
problems in the past copying text from the internet and pasting it into a
word document (usually just BBC News reports - text only, no photographs)

But the version I have installed on my home computer won't let me do this.
Whenever I copy text from the internet onto the clipboard and attempt to
paste it into Word, the whole program freezes. I can't even close Word down
without opening up Windows Task Manager ans closing it that way.

It's extremely frustrating and I feel my copy of MS Office is not good value
for money. The program is 100% genuine as it registered and activated ok so
it's not a copy.

Can anyone please help or else maybe you are having a similar problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Reez1972 Reez1972 is offline

Thank you Garfield - this was an old post but still applies to me. I also
have the Student/Teacher Office version at home and couldn't figure out why I
couldn't paste text or screen prints from the internet until I experimented
with "Paste Special."
Thank you!