Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stewart Lane

Default Linked Style Sheet defs getting embedded using Word 2003 for HTMl

Hi,

I am developing a site and use Macromedia DreamWeaver for some simple HTML
edits (for some IFRAMES). I use Visual Studio, VB.NET, ASP.NET, etc. for the
rest.

I have some small htm docs that are linked to an external style sheet. The
users for whom I'm developing will change the content periodically in these
..htm files and their tool is Word 2003.

After they edit with word, word has embedded tons of font definitions and
has changed the class tags to what it liikes from what I had done in
DreamWeaver. This can take the size of the .htm file from 1-2K to 15-20K.

Oddly, it still has the link reference, but I'm not sure if it respects it
any longer.
LINK href="facility_new.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"

Is there a way to have Word leave it clean, the way I had it without putting
all its stuff in there? I read its help and it claims it will use the linked
sheet but it doesn't explain why does it embed all the code.

Below is an example of my "clean" html code from DreamWeaver.

Thanks & Regards,
Stewart

Before edited with Word 2003:

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html
link href="facility.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"

body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"
table width="440" height="400" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"
tr
td width="420" height="400" align="left" valign="top"
p class="factitleline2"21st Recreation Center... /p
etc...............

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U3Rld2FydCBMYW5l?=,

[...]

No. No possibility what so ever. Word is NOT an HTML editor. Word can create
"web pages", but these are basically HTML renderings of Word documents. Word
makes no effort to respect any HTML it receives.

These users need to use a different tool, FrontPage MAYBE. Or you need to do
some kind of transform on the files after the users have opened them in Word.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stewart Lane

Default Linked Style Sheet defs getting embedded using Word 2003 for H

Hi Cindy,
Thanks for reply. Having noted your reply, the htm files Word makes still
render OK. It appears that it includes all that extra stuff because it is
attempting to implement WEFT into the document,so that the FONTS used in the
style sheet properly render in the site visitor's browser. It seems though,
that it doesn't respect the future edits to the style sheet, even though the
link reference is still in tact.

What a bizarre implementation. Seems 1/2-baked.

Thanks & Regards,
Stewart

Hi ?B?U3Rld2FydCBMYW5l?=,