Chuck

Default "out of paper" error when there is paper

I'm trying to print a mail-merge document, which is why I came
to the "table" group. When I try, even if it's only a single page, I
get an "out of paper" error even though the active printer does have
paper loaded. In the Control Panel *all* the LPT1 printers set up have
the same "out of paper" error when it happens to the active printer. I
have two physical printers - HP5L and Canon S820. It makes no
difference which one is hooked up.
I've re-installed the HP printer driver and made sure the
Canon is the newest. I'm using Office Pro 2003 and XP Pro (without
Service Pack 2 because I'm using Zonealarm as a firewall). The font is
Times New Roman.

Pitiful cry for help.......

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Chuck,

Actually, the
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof....printingfonts group
would probably have been the better choice. First thing they'll probably
suggest is updating your printer drivers... And the next would be
starting Windows in Safe Mode (so without ZoneAlarm and anything else)
to see if it's some other software interfering.

I take it you're trying to merge directly to the printer? How about if
you merge to a new document, then print that? This should at least keep
you going until you get the real issue sorted.

I'm trying to print a mail-merge document, which is why I came
to the "table" group. When I try, even if it's only a single page, I
get an "out of paper" error even though the active printer does have
paper loaded. In the Control Panel *all* the LPT1 printers set up have
the same "out of paper" error when it happens to the active printer. I
have two physical printers - HP5L and Canon S820. It makes no
difference which one is hooked up.
I've re-installed the HP printer driver and made sure the
Canon is the newest. I'm using Office Pro 2003 and XP Pro (without
Service Pack 2 because I'm using Zonealarm as a firewall). The font is
Times New Roman.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org