Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Daniel Daniel is offline

Default About titles and numbering

Hello,
I want to number my titles automatically, like this:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.1.1. Heading3
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2

The problem is, the numbering always resets when I try to do it:
1. Heading1
2. Heading2
3. Heading3
4. Heading1

Can anyone help me with this? I need some tips very urgently, bacause my
paper has to be finished by tomorrow

Thank you very much,
Daniel
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You haven't told us your version of Word, but the general principles of
outline numbering in Word are described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daniel" wrote in message
Hello,
I want to number my titles automatically, like this:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.1.1. Heading3
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2

The problem is, the numbering always resets when I try to do it:
1. Heading1
2. Heading2
3. Heading3
4. Heading1

Can anyone help me with this? I need some tips very urgently, bacause my
paper has to be finished by tomorrow

Thank you very much,
Daniel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Daniel Daniel is offline

Thank you very much for the quick response. Please excuse me for not adding
the version I use. It's Word 2007.
I visited the site you gave me, but it appears that this is for earlier
versions only. I know how to do the numbering in word 2003, but I just cannot
get it to work in Word 2007...
So the problem is not solved yet... I'd be glad if anyone could help me out.

Thanks,
Daniel

"Daniel" wrote in message
Hello,
I want to number my titles automatically, like this:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.1.1. Heading3
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2

The problem is, the numbering always resets when I try to do it:
1. Heading1
2. Heading2
3. Heading3
4. Heading1

Can anyone help me with this? I need some tips very urgently, bacause my
paper has to be finished by tomorrow

Thank you very much,
Daniel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Word 2007, you can do this to quickly set up the number format that you
want: On the Home tab of the ribbon, click Multilevel List, and then click
the predefined "1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, 1.1.1 Heading 3" number format
found under "List Library." This will apply numbering to the built-in
headings. Of course, since you want a trailing period you will also have to
modify the numbering: With the insertion point in the first Heading 1
paragraph of the document, click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New
Multilevel List. Word displays a dialog box similar to the Customize Outline
Numbered List dialog of previous versions; use it to customize the
numbering. In this case, you should type a period after the numbers (in the
"Enter formatting for number" box) for each level.

Note that any outline-numbered list created via the "List Library" (or via
Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List) must be modified
via Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List; this also
applies to most lists created in older versions of Word.

The alternative in Word 2007 is to make use of list styles (which were
supported in Word 2003, but the advantage to using them was less apparent).
To create a list style, click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New List
Style. Give the list style a name. To attach paragraph styles and set the
properties of the list, click the Format button, and then click Numbering.

Once created, a list style appears at Home tab | Multilevel List, under the
"List Styles" heading. You can easily modify a list style by right-clicking
it and choosing Modify from the context menu; this takes you directly to the
Modify Style dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daniel" wrote in message
Hello,
I want to number my titles automatically, like this:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.1.1. Heading3
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2

The problem is, the numbering always resets when I try to do it:
1. Heading1
2. Heading2
3. Heading3
4. Heading1

Can anyone help me with this? I need some tips very urgently, bacause
my
paper has to be finished by tomorrow

Thank you very much,
Daniel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Daniel Daniel is offline

Thank you very much for this outstanding answer. I managed to do as you said,
it worked as it should work.
Thanks again for your professional help.

Daniel

"Daniel" wrote in message
Hello,
I want to number my titles automatically, like this:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.1.1. Heading3
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2

The problem is, the numbering always resets when I try to do it:
1. Heading1
2. Heading2
3. Heading3
4. Heading1

Can anyone help me with this? I need some tips very urgently, bacause
my
paper has to be finished by tomorrow

Thank you very much,
Daniel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome--and thank you for the feedback.

~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daniel" wrote in message
Hello,
I want to number my titles automatically, like this:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.1.1. Heading3
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2

The problem is, the numbering always resets when I try to do it:
1. Heading1
2. Heading2
3. Heading3
4. Heading1

Can anyone help me with this? I need some tips very urgently,
bacause
my
paper has to be finished by tomorrow

Thank you very much,
Daniel

Table titles Denise Jewkes Microsoft Word Help 3 May 5th 08 09:47 AM
Template Titles JSH Page Layout 1 July 25th 07 10:30 AM
Pages with titles Phantom Microsoft Word Help 3 July 18th 07 09:35 PM
Formating Titles Nina Microsoft Word Help 1 October 12th 06 12:23 AM
Numbering equations, figures, titles etc. seyyah New Users 4 December 17th 05 05:12 AM