Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rick d rick d is offline

Default Can't change default font size - Word 2007

We just upgraded to Word 2007 at work, and I'm trying to set up my defaults.
I can change my default font without any problem, but I can't change the
size. No matter what I try, big or small, the default always reverts to a
font size of 12. Any ideas? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You haven't explained how you tried to change the settings. The following
procedure should work, though: Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display the Styles
pane. Click the Manage Styles button. On the Set Defaults tab, specify the
desired settings. Choose the "New documents based on this template" option,
and click OK. If/when you are prompted to save the Normal template, choose
to do so.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"rick d" rick wrote in message
We just upgraded to Word 2007 at work, and I'm trying to set up my
defaults.
I can change my default font without any problem, but I can't change the
size. No matter what I try, big or small, the default always reverts to a
font size of 12. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rick d[_2_] rick d[_2_] is offline

I tried to change the settings by opening the Font Dialog box, changing the
font size, and then clicking Default button. I got a dialog box that said

"You are about to change the default font to (Default) Candara, 11 pt.

Do you want this change to affect all new documents based on the NORMAL
template?"

I would click on the Yes button, but it wouldn't make the change to the font
size, only to the font itself.

I did what you said using Manage Styles, and it worked. But it shouldn't
have to be so complicated. I kinda know what I'm doing, but I still haven't
had much luck yet learning how to use Styles. How is the average Joe or Jane
supposed to know how to do this? I'm guessing that they just don't even mess
with it, and use the defaults provided by Word.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I appreciate it a lot. I am curious why they
way I did it originally didn't work, though. That's the way it worked on
Word 2003. And it looked like it should have worked on Word 2007 too.

"rick d" rick wrote in message
We just upgraded to Word 2007 at work, and I'm trying to set up my
defaults.
I can change my default font without any problem, but I can't change the
size. No matter what I try, big or small, the default always reverts to a
font size of 12. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm not sure why your first attempt was unsuccessful. By the way, are you
saying that it didn't work for the current document or for the template?

The basics (which you probably already know) about styles are explained
he http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sOnStyles.html.

For more on styles see this article:

Style basics in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100970201033

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"rick d" rick wrote in message
We just upgraded to Word 2007 at work, and I'm trying to set up my
defaults.
I can change my default font without any problem, but I can't change
the
size. No matter what I try, big or small, the default always reverts
to a
font size of 12. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rick d[_2_] rick d[_2_] is offline

1) According to the pop up box, it was supposed to change all new documents
based on the Normal template. The current document was already set up
correctly, I was trying to change the template default to be the same as the
current document, but I couldn't get it to work until I tried your tip.

2) Actually, even though I pretend to know what I'm doing, I know
practically nothing about styles. I will check out the links you suggested
to see if I can learn something I probably have needed to know for a long
time. Thanks.

"rick d" rick wrote in message
We just upgraded to Word 2007 at work, and I'm trying to set up my
defaults.
I can change my default font without any problem, but I can't change
the
size. No matter what I try, big or small, the default always reverts
to a
font size of 12. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"rick d" rick wrote in message
We just upgraded to Word 2007 at work, and I'm trying to set up my
defaults.
I can change my default font without any problem, but I can't change
the
size. No matter what I try, big or small, the default always
reverts
to a
font size of 12. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fran M Fran M is offline

Hi Stefan

I am having the same problem only when I try managing styles it says that
the default is Arial 11pt (which is what I want) but everytime I open a new
document it still has my old defaults. I have tried clicking on the New
documents based on this template but it doesn't seem to help or ask me to
save.

I have changed the default in every other computer in my workplace and it is
only mine that won't change. Could there be something wrong with my
Normal.dot template? If so what can I do to change this (perhaps create a
new one?)

Fran

"rick d" rick wrote in message
We just upgraded to Word 2007 at work, and I'm trying to set up my
defaults.
I can change my default font without any problem, but I can't change the
size. No matter what I try, big or small, the default always reverts to a
font size of 12. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Open the normal.dotm file as a document. To find it, you can make use of
Windows search (be sure to search hidden files and folders). Right-click the
file and choose Open from the context menu. Then make the desired changes.
When you are done, save and close the file. That should do the trick.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
We just upgraded to Word 2007 at work, and I'm trying to set up my
defaults.
I can change my default font without any problem, but I can't change
the
size. No matter what I try, big or small, the default always reverts
to a
font size of 12. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fran M[_2_] Fran M[_2_] is offline

Hi Stefan

Thanks so much for that. Worked perfectly It was driving me insane!!

wrote in message
We just upgraded to Word 2007 at work, and I'm trying to set up my
defaults.
I can change my default font without any problem, but I can't change
the
size. No matter what I try, big or small, the default always reverts
to a
font size of 12. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP