Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gringotavy

Default Limiting range of TOC

Hi,
Does anyone know if there is a way (or a workaround) to limiting the
range the TOC field uses to create the index? I would like to create
various sub-indexes scattered throughout the document (an operations
manual) rather than one long and indigestable one at the begining. I
have thought of limiting the creation of the TOC to specific styles
rather than levels and then creating clones of heading styles but
renaming them to correspond to each section. A lot of work but that's
not the problem. The problem is that Word does not remember those
settings when it updates the table and simply reverts to the original
'by levels' setting.

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Define a bookmark for the range that the TOC should cover. Then use the \b
switch in the TOC field, eg --

{ TOC \o "1-3" \b "Chapter_01" }

For a TOC that covers Chapter_01 only.

"Gringotavy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
Does anyone know if there is a way (or a workaround) to limiting the
range the TOC field uses to create the index? I would like to create
various sub-indexes scattered throughout the document (an operations
manual) rather than one long and indigestable one at the begining. I
have thought of limiting the creation of the TOC to specific styles
rather than levels and then creating clones of heading styles but
renaming them to correspond to each section. A lot of work but that's
not the problem. The problem is that Word does not remember those
settings when it updates the table and simply reverts to the original
'by levels' setting.

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gringotavy

Ok, guys. I found the answer. Sorry to bother you. The answer is using
the \f and \b switches in the TOC fields. If anyone is interested, take
a look at:
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC011525811033

Cheers