Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brenda from Michigan Brenda from Michigan is offline

Default Date is changing in Form Field

Using Word 2002, SP3

User has entered a Text Form Field from the Forms toolbar. She has
formatted it for Date in the M/d/yy format. If she enters 13/08/08, the 13
in the month slot is invalid and Word (or the operating system) changes the
date to 8/13/08. In fact, the date was mistyped and should have read
12/08/08.

Is there any way to prevent this automatic transposition of the M/DD? We
see that if two invalid dates are entered, such as 13/33/08, we get an error
stating it is an invalid date. The user would like to see this error in the
case of the 13/08/08. TIA!
--
Brenda
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Brenda,

I think you've got more fundamental issues to deal with than just the re-interpretation of a mis-typed date. What about mistyped
dates that don't get re-interpreted (eg 11/8/08 when it should be 12/8/08)? The conventional/traditional way of limiting such errors
is to require double-entry.

An alternative approach would be to require the user the type the month abbreviation. I think that would minimise the risk of (a)
finger trouble with the month and (b) incorrectly entered months being reinterpreted.

--
Cheers
macropod