Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
larry larry is offline

Default Allow users to choose multiple options within a single dropdown me

How do I allow users to choose multiple options within a single dropdown menu
in a Word Document? I've created a template in Word 2003 and have multiple
dropdown menus. I need to have the ability to choose multiple items within a
single dropdown box. I also have to have the ability to put a dropdown box
within a dropdown box (if a chosen item has a sub-catagory).
Thank You.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Larry wrote:
How do I allow users to choose multiple options within a single
dropdown menu in a Word Document? I've created a template in Word
2003 and have multiple dropdown menus. I need to have the ability to
choose multiple items within a single dropdown box. I also have to
have the ability to put a dropdown box within a dropdown box (if a
chosen item has a sub-catagory).
Thank You.

The dropdown control from the Forms toolbar cannot do this -- it's
single-selection only.

You can create a UserForm (a custom dialog box) in the VBA programming
language (http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userfo...eAUserForm.htm) and
place a list box on the UserForm. That list box can handle multiple
selection; set its MultiSelect property to fmMultiSelectExtended. The
UserForm can be made to appear when a text form field is entered, and to put
the result into the form field -- see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/FormField_...rm_ListBox.htm.

I've never seen, in any software environment and certainly not in a
Microsoft program, a dropdown within a dropdown. You can program macros so
that making a selection in one dropdown changes the entries available in
another (separate) dropdown; see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Linked_DropDown_Fields.htm.

--
Regards,