Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
protestboy protestboy is offline

Default Stop table of contents from updating

I have a document with some form fields in the first section, and then
another section with an automatic table of contents. When I protect the
document I choose to not protect the second section.

The problem is that when I tab between the form fields, or click around to
different sections, each time I do I get a popup prompt to update the TOC.
Is there some way of supressing this while maintaining a TOC that can be
updated as content changes?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:04:00 -0800, protestboy
wrote:

I have a document with some form fields in the first section, and then
another section with an automatic table of contents. When I protect the
document I choose to not protect the second section.

The problem is that when I tab between the form fields, or click around to
different sections, each time I do I get a popup prompt to update the TOC.
Is there some way of supressing this while maintaining a TOC that can be
updated as content changes?

With the cursor in the TOC, press Ctrl+F11 which is the shortcut for the
LockFields command. To update the TOC later, put the cursor in it and press
Ctrl+Shift+F11 to unlock it, F9 to do the update, then Ctrl+F11 to lock it
again.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

"protestboy" wrote in message
I have a document with some form fields in the first section, and then
another section with an automatic table of contents. When I protect the
document I choose to not protect the second section.

The problem is that when I tab between the form fields, or click around to
different sections, each time I do I get a popup prompt to update the TOC.
Is there some way of supressing this while maintaining a TOC that can be
updated as content changes?

Jay answered your question on how to prevent the TOC from updating, but if
you want to know why this occurs, in the Form Field properties (double-click
a form field to display the Properties) there is an option for "Calculate on
exit". This option will updated all fields in your document, including the
TOC. If you don't have any fields in the document that need to be updated
each time you exit a form field then remove this option and you'll no longer
encounter the "Update TOC" prompt.
--
Beth Melton

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface: