Mamma Boel

Default How to lock columns/rows in a table in word

How do you lock columns/rows in a table in word? Using Office XP Pro.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to lock columns/rows in a table in word

Locking columns or rows in a table in Word can be useful when you want to keep certain information visible while scrolling through the rest of the table. Here's how you can do it in Office XP Pro:
  1. Open the Word document containing the table you want to work with.
  2. Click anywhere inside the table to select it.
  3. Click on the "Table" menu at the top of the screen.
  4. Click on "Table Properties" from the dropdown menu.
  5. In the Table Properties window, click on the "Row" or "Column" tab, depending on which one you want to lock.
  6. Check the box next to "Repeat as header row at the top of each page" or "Repeat as header column at the left of each page", depending on which one you want to use.
  7. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

Now, when you scroll through the table, the locked row or column will stay visible at the top or left side of the table, respectively. This can be especially helpful when working with large tables that require a lot of scrolling.
__________________
Jezebel

Locked in what sense? There's no equivalent of Excel's locked rows and
columns.

"Mamma Boel" Mamma wrote in message
news
How do you lock columns/rows in a table in word? Using Office XP Pro.

Mamma Boel

Hi Jezebel;
Locked in the sense of protecting the text from being altered in certain
columns/rows. Yes, like Excel.

"Jezebel" wrote:

Locked in what sense? There's no equivalent of Excel's locked rows and
columns.

"Mamma Boel" Mamma wrote in message
news
How do you lock columns/rows in a table in word? Using Office XP Pro.

Jay Freedman

Only in Word 2003, and then only if everyone who edits the document uses
that version.

In earlier versions, you have to insert form fields wherever you want the
document to be editable, and then protect the document for forms.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jezebel" wrote:

Locked in what sense? There's no equivalent of Excel's locked rows
and columns.

"Mamma Boel" Mamma wrote in message
news
How do you lock columns/rows in a table in word? Using Office XP
Pro.

Alejandro

Hi Jay,

I have Word 2003 and I want to lock columns and/or cells in a table so that
the text in them is protected from being altered. Is it possible?

--
Thanks,

Alex

"Jezebel" wrote:

Locked in what sense? There's no equivalent of Excel's locked rows
and columns.

"Mamma Boel" Mamma wrote in message
news How do you lock columns/rows in a table in word? Using Office XP
Pro.

Jay Freedman

Yes, it's possible:

- Display the Protect Document Task Pane.

- Check the box "2. Editing restrictions" for "Allow only this type of
editing". The dropdown becomes active, and you can leave "No changes" or
select one of the other types as needed. The entire document becomes
protected with the type you chose.

- Select an area of the document that you want to allow to be edited (that
is, where you want to remove the protection). Check the Everyone item under
"Exceptions", or supply names of specific individuals who can edit. Repeat
this step as many times as needed to unprotect parts of the document, until
only the desired areas remain protected.

- Then click the "Yes, start enforcing protection" button. Supply a password
if you want.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jezebel" wrote:

Locked in what sense? There's no equivalent of Excel's locked rows
and columns.

"Mamma Boel" Mamma wrote in
message news How do you lock columns/rows in a table in word? Using Office XP
Pro.

Alejandro

Thanks a lot, Jay!
Also, is there a way to do this programmatically? (.NET)
I'm developing a smart document which creates a table dynamically and I want
to lock some of the columns / cells. What you wrote is exactly what I need,
but programmatically. I also posted a question on the programming section,
but no answers so far...

Thanks again!

--
Thanks,