Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

Default Word Basic?

Here's one for the "old timers":

I don't write many scripts but can usually blunder my way thru if I
can find an example similar to what I want to do. I am learning
disabled due to a concussion several years back, but it's one of
those "if I knew it before, I still know it" kind of things; it's
only more recent events I have trouble with.

I'm setting up an input dialog box for a fax cover sheet; pretty
simple as scripts go, and remembered someI made years ago that I
finally managed to locate inthe archives, and pulled it up. I
thought it was written in VB, but it turns out it's in "Word Basic".
No idea what rev of Word I used but the file dates were 1998 vintage.
They work fine in XP Pro, and I'm getting what I want it to do in
the get/put areas, which is about all they are. But here's my
question, since Windows Help and Google don't seem to be very helpful:

Are Word Basic commands the same as/similar to, VB such that I can
use VB Help, commands, etc., to go ahead and modify and add to these
Word Basic scripts to do things I don't yet know how to do?
Pro-gress, in other words g.
Or, will Word Basic sripts byte me in the arse in ways I don't
expect when trying to TS them in VB scripting?

Thanks to all relevant responders in advance,

Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Well, WordBasic certainly isn't similar to Visual Basic, at least not close
enough to try to use VB Help with it. Fortunately, you can still download
the WordBasic Help from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...eleaseID=26572.

The MVP site has a couple of articles that may also help you:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...BasicToVBA.htm
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...icCommands.htm

When Word switched from WordBasic to VBA, it included a WordBasic object
that essentially mimics the entire macro environment from the earlier
versions. It was meant as a way to take old macros from Word 6 or 7 and run
them as if nothing had changed. There are a few things it won't handle, but
it's been so long now that I can't remember what they were.

If you're going to extend the old macros, though, it will usually be worth
the effort to ask what job each old macro did, and then rewrite it from
scratch in VBA. Compared to running the old code through the WordBasic
object, properly written "native" VBA will be faster and easier to extend.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Poprivet wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

Great response, Jay; thank you! I'm on my way to the reference links as I
write this.

Regards,

Pop`