Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kathygirl8 kathygirl8 is offline

Default Problem saving Template to Letters/Faxes Tab

Hi, I have created a template and my boss wants it saved to the
"Letters/Faxes" tab within templates. I've tried this, but it seems
Microsoft word automatically saves to "General". I printed out some
directions and was instructed to switch to the corresponding subfolder to
save it to "Letters/Faxes. I am not certain what they mean by "switching it
to the corresponding subfolder". I know you can create your own template tab
and save it there, which is the easiest thing to do, but boss is definate on
having it save to "Letters/Faxes". I would appreciate any advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

To save in Letters & Faxes, you must create a sub folder of the User
Templates folder (User Templates location is defined at tools options
file locations) called Letters & Faxes. Save your template to this folder
and it will appear under the existing Letters and Faxes tab.

kathygirl8 wrote:
Hi, I have created a template and my boss wants it saved to the
"Letters/Faxes" tab within templates. I've tried this, but it seems
Microsoft word automatically saves to "General". I printed out some
directions and was instructed to switch to the corresponding
subfolder to save it to "Letters/Faxes. I am not certain what they
mean by "switching it to the corresponding subfolder". I know you
can create your own template tab and save it there, which is the
easiest thing to do, but boss is definate on having it save to
"Letters/Faxes". I would appreciate any advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The templates that ship with Word are all stored in a single folder, so it
is a bit mysterious how Word generates the tabs in the dialog. In any case,
you can't actually store your templates in the same place with the built-in
ones. What you can do, however, is find the folder represented by General.
This will be the folder where Normal.dot is stored, the path to which is
given on the File Locations tab of Tools | Options. In that Templates
folder, create a subfolder called Letters/Faxes (or Letters & Faxes). The
name of the folder must be exactly the same as the label on the tab in the
New dialog. Save your template in that folder, and it will appear on the
Letters/Faxes tab along with the templates that ship with Word.