Seth07

Default Equation Editor Problems

I'm currently using Microsoft Office Pro 2003, have installed Equation Editor
3.0 countless of times due to problems in reading reports containing
mathematical equations from friends.

I don't know why my the equations can't be read when I'm using a rather new
version of Word. All the symbols that come out are gibberish nonsense. When I
convert using equation editor, the equations come out incomplete with several
mathematical signs missing. This is highly frustrating.

However, when using my sister's PC(she uses Word 2000), the equations come
out fine. I'm at my wits end as this is causing much inconvenience to my
school work.

I would appreciate if someone can help me resolve this issue, as well as
resolving the problem of me having to convert each and every single equation
in the report instead of Word automatically converting the equations for me.

Seth07

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the advice given. However, even after installing Mathtype, I find
that the equations are still "bad". I really don't know what's wrong. The
document my friend sent was created using Equation Editor, hence there should
be no reason why I can't read it properly. The exact document, which I sent
over mail to my sis's PC from my PC, is able to be seen properly.

Is there any other problem I may not know about? Please advise. Thanks.

Seth

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

On 16-Mar-2005, wrote:

I don't know why my the equations can't be read when I'm using
a rather new version of Word. All the symbols that come out
are gibberish nonsense. When I convert using equation editor,
the equations come out incomplete with several mathematical
signs missing. This is highly frustrating.

Could it be that some of the equations were created with
MathType, and not Equation Editor? Do this... Click on one of the
"bad" equations (that's a single click, not a double click). Look
at Word's Staus Bar (the bottom of the Word window). At the lower
left, it will tell you what kind of object that is. If it says
"MathType 4" or "MathType 5", then Equation Editor can't open it.

Regardless of the answer to the above, MathType should be able to
open & edit the equations. You can download the trial version at
the link in my signature, and even if you decide not to buy it,
it will always open MathType and Equation Editor equations. The
only downside to that is that someone without at least MathType
Lite (which is what the trial version is called after the trial
period is expired) won't be able to open your equations.
--
Bob Mathews

Director of Training 830-990-9699
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide