Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
apoch apoch is offline

Default How can I keep a picture from moving as I add text?

I am writing a document of 30 or so pages and have about that many pictures.
Is their a way to fix the pictures (and a text box) in position as I add or
edit text?Essentially I have the pictures and want to add descriptive
material as I go.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:35:16 -0800, apoch
wrote:

I am writing a document of 30 or so pages and have about that many pictures.
Is their a way to fix the pictures (and a text box) in position as I add or
edit text?Essentially I have the pictures and want to add descriptive
material as I go.

It's a frequently requested feature, but no, Word can't do that. Every
floating object (pictures and text boxes) is "anchored" to a specific
text paragraph. You can specify the object's horizontal and vertical
positions (in the Format Picture or Format Text Box dialog) as being
relative to the page instead of relative to the anchor. However, if
the anchor text moves to another page, the object will also move to
that page.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

And my advice on this is not to try to insert pictures at all until editing
is complete. Instead, insert a notation of where the picture will go:

[Insert Figure 1 about here]

[Photo of Grandmother goes here]

and the like. Then go back at the end and slot them in, being aware that
you'll have to make some compromises (in my current venture, I've had a
*lot* of compromises and an equal number of frustrations, whereby I've come
to more fully sympathize with other users' infuriation with Word's handling
of wrapped graphics). To the extent that you can put them inline (in table
cells if necessary), you'll retain more of your sanity.

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

You might be better off to use MS Publisher or some other Desktop Publishing
(page layout) program for a project such as this. Even if you're not
familiar with their use it would most likely be a more comfortable learning
curve than trying to master the control of numerous graphic objects in a
Word doc... And the result will be more stable & reliable:-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/31/07 9:35 PM, in article
, "apoch"
wrote:

I am writing a document of 30 or so pages and have about that many pictures.
Is their a way to fix the pictures (and a text box) in position as I add or
edit text?Essentially I have the pictures and want to add descriptive
material as I go.

Picture disappears after moving it and then saving the document. Bob Arnett Microsoft Word Help 0 November 13th 07 06:01 PM
Moving picture between sections Stacey Microsoft Word Help 3 February 4th 07 08:05 AM
Moving picture from word lovecats778 Microsoft Word Help 1 December 8th 05 01:25 AM
moving picture ED New Users 6 April 26th 05 09:35 PM
How do I insert text over a picture without losing the picture? PMD Microsoft Word Help 1 February 4th 05 05:06 AM