Posted to microsoft.public.word.numbering,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mat mat is offline

Default Adding new numbers/bullets in the middle of an existing sequence?

I'm working with a document that has a number sequence like

2.
2.1
2.2
2.2.1
2.2.2
3.
3.1
etc

In between the numbers are text images paragraphs etc.

I know how to add a new entry in the middle of a simple sequence of
numbers but I'm not sure how to insert a new number in the middle of a
complex sequence like this? Mostly I'm not sure how to insert a new
number like 2.2.3 in the sequence after say a paragraph or two of text.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.numbering,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You apply the style to which the appropriate level of numbering is applied.
If you're trying to operate without numbered styles (by applying number to
and removing it from Normal), then don't. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for best
practices, which still apply in Word 2007 even though the way you have to
approach the numbering is a little different.

http://word.mvps.org

"mat" wrote in message
om...
I'm working with a document that has a number sequence like

2.
2.1
2.2
2.2.1
2.2.2
3.
3.1
etc

In between the numbers are text images paragraphs etc.

I know how to add a new entry in the middle of a simple sequence of
numbers but I'm not sure how to insert a new number in the middle of a
complex sequence like this? Mostly I'm not sure how to insert a new
number like 2.2.3 in the sequence after say a paragraph or two of text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.numbering,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mat mat is offline

In article ,
says...
You apply the style to which the appropriate level of numbering is applied.
If you're trying to operate without numbered styles (by applying number to
and removing it from Normal), then don't. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for best
practices, which still apply in Word 2007 even though the way you have to
approach the numbering is a little different.

OK, thanks for that input, I'll check out that site and see what I can
get from it. I know it's a complex topic, I've never really understood
it to any degree.