Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Default Header and Footer 'margins'

Greetings,
I'm new to Word 2003 and am seeing something a bit different than it was in
Word 2000. When I bring up the Page Setup box and select the Margins tab, I
get margins for top, bottom, left, right, and even Gutter size and location.
If I remember Word2000 correctly, it gave me the ability to set the Header
and Footer positions (I think they were for 'how large is the area", but
they might have been "how far from the edge does it start').

I'm finding in Word 2003 I actually have to use the mouse and play
click/drag for my header/footer sizes, and when I highlight them, the
boundary lines (dashed) show the footer starting at the edge of the paper
and I can't click/drag it to move it up.

Sooo... is there a way for me to numerically set Header/Footer height and
location with respect to the top/bottom of the page???

Thanks,
Shane

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

cannot be maually resized or repositioned. They simply regulate the
positioning of standard H/F content, but you can also add just about
anything anywhere else as you wish - including drawing objects, pictures,
text boxes, etc.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"SV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Bob,
Thanks, that splains why I look but don't find. It's a functionality I'll
miss a bit, but not lose sleep over!

Shane

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
cannot be maually resized or repositioned. They simply regulate the
positioning of standard H/F content, but you can also add just about
anything anywhere else as you wish - including drawing objects, pictures,
text boxes, etc.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As Bob says, those settings are now on the Layout tab. At first glance, it
might be hard to imagine why MS would have moved a margin setting away from
the Margins tab, but perhaps it seemed reasonable in that the "Different
first page" and "Different odd and even" settings are on that tab as well.

"SV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Sue,
Yeah, that does make some sense. Fortunately I'm generally able to see the
logic behind a huge chunk of Bill's rationale, and so this is just a 'takes
some getting used to' thing. Right now I'm playing around to find out if
the header-size is created by the program comparing the "Where the header
starts" and "Upper Margin" values and figuring everything in between MUST be
header. :-)

Shane

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
As Bob says, those settings are now on the Layout tab. At first glance, it
might be hard to imagine why MS would have moved a margin setting away
from
the Margins tab, but perhaps it seemed reasonable in that the "Different
first page" and "Different odd and even" settings are on that tab as well.

so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This behavior of the header is described at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm. To summarize, the
header margin determines how far from the edge of the page the header
starts; the same for the footer margin, though it is less obvious from the
way the footer pane is displayed. As the header/footer increases in depth,
the header pushes down and the footer pushes up. It does not stop when it
reaches the top/bottom margin but instead pushes the document content down
or up (unless you have set an absolute top/bottom margin by--extremely
unintuitively--using a negative number). This is what allows you to have a
different effective margin on some pages than others (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm). If you have a
header/footer whose depth will exceed the space allowed for it (distance
between header/footer and top/bottom margin), you will need to add Space
After to the header or Space Before to the footer to create "breathing
room."

"SV" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Suzanne,
AHHHHH.. thanks, that makes much sense... thanks!

[...]

all may benefit.